Pitched wort at 100º, should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratebrew

Reaction score
I accidentally pitched my red ale wort at 100º directly with dry yeast, I'm not sure if i should be worried or not. :confused::(

Definitely on the hot side, but you may be okay. What strain of dry yeast? Notti can probably tolerate 100 without dying, but you should work hard to get temps down to the 60's for fermentation.

:eek: Are you able to do anything to cool it down quickly? That is very hot for any beer yeast strain. While it may not kill them, it will negatively affect the beer if you don't have a way to cool it down ASAP.

I'ts muntons, and in the package says 104º max but i've always pitched at about 70º so that's why I'm not sure, i already put some icepacks on the sides an top of my bucket too

You might run into some unwanted off flavors pitching that warm, but it should still ferment. Next time, go with what you originally do and pitch at 70

How did this turn out for you? Have you achieved an active fermentation?

I bet it took off faster than it otherwise would have if he just sprinkled the dry yeast into the wort at 70*, but gave off more unanticipated flavors. Can't wait to hear from the OP about it though :D

I bet it took off faster than it otherwise would have if he just sprinkled the dry yeast into the wort at 70*, but gave off more unanticipated flavors. Can't wait to hear from the OP about it though :D

I agree with you, unless it was quickly cooled down to a more appropriate temperature range.

Yeah, but "ice packs on the sides and top"... that won't really do the job very quickly without some kind of circulation and a lot of attention to the ice packs. Not to say the beer will be bad, just thinking the yeast will be contributing more flavors than expected. Hopefully the fusels aren't a prominent part of the flavor profile.

It'll make beer. Not the best beer, but it'll be beer. You should be able to drink it.

Latest posts

Back