Pitched Too Warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wootonius

Reaction score
Hello all!
I haven't brewed in about a year, and decided to get back at it last week and brew an APA. All went well, but I got in a bit of a hurry and pitched my Wyeast London ESB Ale 1968 yeast at 80 degrees F. I wouldn't have worried about it too much, but it didn't take off like I expected it would and it's been extremely slow since. I'm now at day 10 and I'm starting to wonder if I should have added more immediately. It's been a while since I brewed, and haven't brewed more than around 10-12 batches total, but I seem to remember the airlock being way more active than this one has been! I'd love to hear the thoughts of the more experienced brewers here on what I should do. Should I just let it go longer in the fermenter? Should I open her up and take a look and a gravity reading? Thanks in advance!

80 is warm to pitch, but it shouldn't kill the yeast. At that temperature, it would probably just start faster (while maybe producing some off flavors). What temperature did you ferment it at? 1968 finishes quickly in the 65-72 degree range. I brewed a London Pride clone with 1968 at 67 (pitched at 62), this weekend (1L starter), and the airlock activity has slowed from every 1 second to >30 seconds. I expect it to be done, except for a few days of clean up, by tomorrow, so about 4 days.

I would guess, that fermentation is done and that it could be packaged, just take a reading to make sure.

Ive pitched all except one of my brews at about 80-83, not a single one has failed except my first one and that was because the yeast was dead. The warm pitching actually takes off like a monster, all my beers have finished in 3-5 days, most in 4, then i crash and keg.

I have trouble getting my wort down to pitching temps in the warmer months because I am too lazy to use my prechiller. I either a) pitch it at about 80 degrees a couple hours after chilling or b) chill to about 90 degrees and let the wort sit overnight in the basement and pitch the next morning.

I haven't had any issues, buy your mileage may vary......

Just cracked the hefe i burst carbed at 42 for 24 hours. This was pitched at 84 and fermented at about 74-76 with wyeast 3068, man this is bananas all over the the place. Super smooth with that initial hop bite but mother of god it is loaded with bananas in aroma and flavor. 5.4% and made with white wheat and munich and 3068 and a starter. I will never deviate from this recipe, or maybe im buzzed lol.

Thanks everyone for the reassurance! I checked it Sunday at the 14 day mark and it appears to be progressing just fine. It came in at 6.5%, so the yeast must have ben doing their thing... I decided to give it a few more days just to be sure it was done. Kegging either tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    998 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2784.jpg
    IMG_2784.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 12
Back