Pitched my stir bar into the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pole

Reaction score
Smooth operator, right here. :ban:

Do I need to fish it out, or will everything be fine if I leave it in the bucket until I keg in ~4 weeks?

Everything will be fine but if you want to fish it out you can use a big magnet outside the vessel and slide it up and out without touching the beer...........

Lmao, you can stand over a carboy trying to drop the thing in and never hit it. Drop it by accident bouncing 4 times off the table and go in every time. Magnet trick works great.

I always hold the stirplate up against the bottom of the flask to keep the magnet in place when I pitch the yeast slurry

I've started doing what duboman said just in the flask before pitching. Run another magnet up the side of it and it pulls the bar right out. A lot easier on a small container than something full with 5 gallons of brew.

Buy a vinyl coated cow magnet. They are strong and work great for sliding the stir bar along the bottom and up the side. Work well for holding router bits at the right depth while tightening the collet also.

Thanks folks. First time with a starter and I just spaced it. I should have used the magnet to remove the bar as soon as it was done on the plate, or at least put a sticky note on the flask like the one that's now on my bucket.

get a "getter" magnet if you don't already have one. It's a neodynmium magnet, aka: Rare Earth magnet. It's plenty strong enough to get it out of your carboy. I've done it with better bottles too. Just don't store your Neodymium magnet with your stir bar or your stir bar will lose it's magnetism (so I've been told).

Edit: I also did this the very first time I used a stirplate/starter. You're in good company if you ask me. :mug:

Back