Pitched my starter yeast at 100 degrees, too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applepipe419

Reaction score
Hello, I pitched my starter for my mead from about an 75 degree cup of activated yeast to a gallon of 100 degree starter. Should I put in some more activated yeast tomorrow or should I not worry about it. Thanks...

If your yeast are growing and producing alcohol in 100 degree temps, your likely to be making quite a bit of fusels. What size batch are you pitching the one gallon starter into? As the 100 degree may not be an issue if the batch is large enough.

Yeah, I agree with MarshmallowBlue. Fusel alcohols will be in good supply. I wouldn't ditch the batch though. I would go ahead and see how it turns out while remembering to pitch the yeast into a cooler wort next time.

I looked it up and it seems that fusels causing headaches and hangovers is actually a myth. I still think the batch could turn out alright. I would hate to throw out the three pounds of usable honey, but you maybe right.

I looked it up and it seems that fusels causing headaches and hangovers is actually a myth. I still think the batch could turn out alright. I would hate to throw out the three pounds of usable honey, but you maybe right.

Well headaches fact or fiction aside, they DO make your mead taste awful.

But you never even said what size batch you pitched the starter into, so that may not even be an issue?

I also agree with chadwick here, that although a slip-up, it's certainly not dump-worthy.

Latest posts

Back