Pitchable tube Vs Activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesepolp

Reaction score
The tube from white labs costs more. I'm assuming it's generally better. In your personal experience, which would you recommend?

The tube from white labs costs more. I'm assuming it's generally better. In your personal experience, which would you recommend?

Neither are suggested by most on here as directly pitchable unless you are doing like a 2.5 gallon batchs.

Check out the following link to get an idea of the count you will need.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

As for a choice between the 2, well that is up to you to test out. I prefer WL but that is just me and also more accessible to me.

I like White Labs, but I wouldn't assume it's better just because it costs a bit more. I'm not even sure it costs more at all retailers.

I have been using white labs for my liquid yeast up until now. I have a wyeast pacman in a starter that I will be pitching on friday. This will be my first use of the smack pac. I have used dry yeast on my last two batches and am starting to like the cost/ease of use/good results so far. All of this means that to me it just a personal choice. All of them will make fine beer if your provide it a proper enviroment to do so. Get what you think is best for you beer and drive on!

I used to use white labs tubes and I started to transition to the Wyeast smack packs. With the white labs you have to create a starter which requires forward thinking. The smack pack is your starter. I can wake up in the morning, smack the pack and by the time I am ready to pitch the pack is ready.

I haven't used a starter for the Wyeast pack and it has worked for me everytime.

I used to use white labs tubes and I started to transition to the Wyeast smack packs. With the white labs you have to create a starter which requires forward thinking. The smack pack is your starter. I can wake up in the morning, smack the pack and by the time I am ready to pitch the pack is ready.

I haven't used a starter for the Wyeast pack and it has worked for me everytime.

I use to do this until I got on this forum. There are plenty of threads out there on the subject, but here is one: The wyeast smack pack should not be considered a starter.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fi...rter-only-lme-best-option-122449/#post1363801

Though you may be getting good results with your method now, you could be getting Great results giving your wort the proper amount of yeast.

This may seem sacrilegious, but I've found that the White Labs tubes are pitcahable in 5g of wort, and I've pitched smack packs right into 5g of wort too and they both attenuated just fine.

I honestly prefer dry yeast and only use liquid if I really need to tweak a beer with a liquid strain. In this brewers opinion, unless you're doing more than 5 gallons at a time or making some higher gravity beers, I can't think of a reason to make a starter if you stick with liquid... To answer your question, in my experience, both White labs and Wyeast have yield quality results, get the one best suits your brewing needs. If you find two similar strains, go with the cheaper one :) I like Whitelabs though, dont have to worry about "smacking the pack", just let it warm up, shake and then pour it into your wort. Viola! You made beer.

Not to hi-jack, but a local 7bbl microbrewery uses Safale dry yeast exclusively and the brewer pitches at most 2 packets directly into the wort... no re hydrating/proofing, certainly no starters. Lets not forget that yeast is a living thing and given favorable conditions, it will reproduce as needed.

I started using Wyeast but have since switched to White Labs. They both have the same types of yeasts under a different name. Below is a link to a good resource comparing the two and telling you which are used in commercial beers.

Yeast Strains

I've directly pitched white labs twice (poor planning, no time for a starter) into 5 gal and both times, the fermentation took DAYS to get going! I've used the Activator twice and had active fermentation within 12 hours. I think it probably mostly depends on how fresh your source is, but I agree, always doing a starter guarantees a good fermentation from the beginning.

I have directly pitched smack pack and it worked. I have directly pitched tube and it worked. I have made starters of both and they worked.

and now I just use S04 S05 and am happier, richer and can brew without having to drive 1/2 hour to get liquid yeast. I can't tell the difference in my beer.

Latest posts

Back