Pitch Yeast Again?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spelikan

Reaction score
4E30265C-047F-4599-9E75-8731492CAEC2.jpeg
64BD92E9-A4C0-4B94-B1CB-E56B0AD89F47.jpeg
Hi All! I am new to brewing and new to the forum. I thought I would post my dilemma and hopefully garner some experienced feedback. I just brewed my second batch of beer. Slightly different mash bills, but generally the same recipe - a Citra apa/Zombie dust clone. I pitched the yeast yesterday when the wort was right around 75 degrees. On the high end, I know, and not ideal, but I got in a bit of a time crunch. The rate of fermentation is significantly different than my first batch a couple weeks ago. The first picture is my first batch after 24 hours (pitched at around 65 degrees) The second picture is the one I made yesterday after 24 hours. The krausen on the first was a couple of inches high...and on my second not so much. Has the higher pitch temperature caused the fermentation to start slow? Should I consider pitching another packet of yeast? Or should I just stop worrying and give it a couple of days? Thanks in advance for the guidance and advice.

Welcome! Most likely, yes, it was too warm to pitch. What was the yeast? If you pitched at 75, your yeast is bringing the temp up even more, prob to 80, low 80s. You’ll still make beer though.

Leave it alone, that's a healthy fermentation. It does however look like two different yeast strains were used. What yeast strain was used for each?
Thanks. The yeast both times was Safale S-04, Dry Ale Yeast

Welcome! Most likely, yes, it was too warm to pitch. What was the yeast? If you pitched at 75, your yeast is bringing the temp up even more, prob to 80, low 80s. You’ll still make beer though.
Thank you. The yeast was Safale S-04, Dry Ale Yeast

Might be too late but probably wouldn't hurt to cool it a bit. Garage might be good, depending where you are. Also dressing it in a wet t-shirt can reduce temperature by about 3-5 degrees = useful little trick.

Might be too late but probably wouldn't hurt to cool it a bit. Garage might be good, depending where you are. Also dressing it in a wet t-shirt can reduce temperature by about 3-5 degrees = useful little trick.
Nice! Thank you. Will do.

0A5BB3E8-7F63-4025-924D-BDA7E23B8438.jpeg

Thanks all for the responses. I took them all to heart. Moved it to the garage for a couple hours, wrapped in a damp towel overnight, and read the article (thank you). It’s rolling now! As of this morning the krausen is a 2-3 inches high and there is crazy yeast activity. Picture attached. Looks great! Plan is to wait for two weeks, then dry hop for a week, then bottle it. Hopefully crack one or two on Thanksgiving. I’ll circle back and let you know how it turns out. Next up I am thinking a cherry/ vanilla stout or a Christmas ale for the holidays. I’ll be checking the forum and reaching out for ideas and recipes. Thank you!!

Yeast has a mind of it's own...looks like you did fine... like others have said, try and get the wort down to pitching temp next time... yeast can throw some funky flavors in those higher temps... good luck and hope it turns out well for you !!!

Looks good! You don’t actually have to dry hop for a week. Most of the oils are extracted in 24 hours. Maybe cut it to 3 days so you get more fresh beer

Back