Pitch temperature of Lallemand Voss Kveik slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSing

Reaction score
I ran a Blue Moon clone with Lallemand Voss Kveik and have been sampling the keg as it carbs up. Happy with the results, I plan to use the yeast slurry I harvested and refrigerated from the first batch in my house ale. Typically when I use harvested yeast I take the mason jar from the fridge, loosen the top and let it slowly rise to room temp before pitching it. The temperature of the slurry and wort are within 5 degrees F when pitched. With the Voss Kveik yeast, the pitch temperature is 90F to 95F, which will be a 20F+ jump in temperature. Should the slurry be slowly warmed to get closer to the 90F pitch temp or is a temperature shock not a concern with this yeast?

~HopSing.

You could slowly mix in some wort before pitching it but when I'm pitching liquid kveik, I just have it out at room temp and pitch into the 85-90F wort. The stuff is so hardy and the fact you have harvested from a slurry, I'm sure it'll just take off.

I've done that very thing (different beer) but set my container in a dish of warm water just to reduce the temp diff a little. (about 1/2 the differential, I pitched to a 90*F wort.) One thing I did notice was that it laged a bit more than the first pitch by about 6 hours. It still chewed through a 1.080 wort like a champ once it did start.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

Back