Pitch temp of my yeast, can it be to cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastersudconsumer

Reaction score
Just made my starter with WL007. I hit my wort gravity at 1.04 but my yeast has only been out if the fridge for 15 min. I shook it up and pitched it and now there are particles if what I assume to be yeast floating around. Is this trouble, did I just waste a $7 bottle of yeast?

No, in general you can't really pitch too cold. The yeast will warm up in the wort, and it will be fine.

It's preferable to pitch cooler yeast into warmer wort, and not the reverse. Ideally, the wort and yeast would be closer in temperature but no harm will come from having the yeast colder.

Yooper said:
No, in general you can't really pitch too cold. The yeast will warm up in the wort, and it will be fine. It's preferable to pitch cooler yeast into warmer wort, and not the reverse. Ideally, the wort and yeast would be closer in temperature but no harm will come from having the yeast colder.
Ty Yooper. Now that $7 won't rest on my conscience:)

Back