Pita ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What a crazy brew day. Typically my brew days are smooth and predictable. I got my equipment and materials ready last night, excited about my Double Wide inspired recipie. LHBS forgot 1 of my hops, no probem. Ready to go this morning. It is an absolutely beautiful day today in Salt Lake. That is where the happy store ends.
Fire up my burners, it is a no go for my mash burner. So I switch tanks. Nope won't stay lit. 1, 2, 10 tries later it is a go. I have my strike water, I have my mash water and were off. Doing a 90 minute mash.
I have this intense need for a beer, off to the kegerator. It is a no go, trouble with a post? Hmmm..... I bet it is a damn poppet/post probem. I get my wrench and start loosening the OUT side. Holly crap beer spraying everywhere, furniture floor, windows, blinds, walls, ceiling. Not to mention my hair face and clothes.
Now I am pissed at my own stupidity. I just painted that room and ceiling.
I get that cleaned up. Mash is now at 1:15. Woops supposed to increase temps to 153f at 55 minutes. Finish mash take gravity reading 1.040 wtf. Expecting 1.060. Start the boil. 1 oz Magnum FWH. What to do? Too lazy for a beer store run, boil now at 60 minutes. Gravity now at 1.050, **** run to the lhbs. Beer crusted clothes and hair I go get DME. The look on the owners face, priceless. 20 minutes later finish boil add the rest of hops and Finish boil. Now the cool down. I turn away for 1 minute and a damn fire fly lands in my wort. What a cluster.

Some days are not meant for brewing. Many times good brew days depend on good planning and prep work ahead of time. Many times they don't. Next time you have a flawless brew day you will appreciate it all the more. P.S. Don't futz with a charged keg.

Some days are not meant for brewing. Many times good brew days depend on good planning and prep work ahead of time. Many times they don't. Next time you have a flawless brew day you will appreciate it all the more. P.S. Don't futz with a charged keg.

Yeah I really do know that. I don't know why I even thought I could mess with that without discharging. I wonder if beer is good for your skin?

It's a lot better for skin than painted walls and the ceiling. Sorry man. Dude hide from the wife and make up some story about aliens when she gets you.

It's a lot better for skin than painted walls and the ceiling. Sorry man. Dude hide from the wife and make up some story about aliens when she gets you.

I know that is why I scrubbed the ceiling floor and walls. My husband would not be pleased with the mess :). I got kicked out of the kitchen...
But he did build me a 3 tier brew stand. Which I love rolling out on a Sunday. I brew in the drive way. He he he hee.

Back