Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up some Old Dark Fired and Full Virginia Flake today. With the weather forecast so nice, I might actually get a chance to get out and smoke some.

It's funny. I've been smoking a pipe for years and not once have I ever bought from the jars. I've bought my weight in tins, I've bought the drugstore pouches. But until recently, I've never bought from the jars.

It's a helluva lot cheaper even if the variety is limited. But considering I've not tried many of them the latter point is moot for a while.

It's funny. I've been smoking a pipe for years and not once have I ever bought from the jars. I've bought my weight in tins, I've bought the drugstore pouches. But until recently, I've never bought from the jars.

It's a helluva lot cheaper even if the variety is limited. But considering I've not tried many of them the latter point is moot for a while.

Yeah, I've two more empty jars from my set of 12. I think I'll pick up some bulk aromatics tomorrow, including the 1Q.

After testing the three different blends I grabbed from the local smoke shop in the new corn cob over the last week or so, I put the cob away and packed my 'good' pipe with the aged whiskey blend. It is by far my favorite of the three; I'll have to go back and talk to him about what might be in it. I thought the one with whiskey in the name would be the worst, it is very fine compared to the others though.. I was worried it would suck right through. Instead, it ended up packing and burning awesome. Had a graham cracker porter with it. Perfect pair.

After testing the three different blends I grabbed from the local smoke shop in the new corn cob over the last week or so, I put the cob away and packed my 'good' pipe with the aged whiskey blend. It is by far my favorite of the three; I'll have to go back and talk to him about what might be in it. I thought the one with whiskey in the name would be the worst, it is very fine compared to the others though.. I was worried it would suck right through. Instead, it ended up packing and burning awesome. Had a graham cracker porter with it. Perfect pair.

If I were to have a guess, I'd bet it's Peter Stokkbye Highland Whiskey. 1/3 Virginia, 1/3 Cavendish, 1/3 white burley and all sprayed with a generic whiskey to case.

I say this only because Peter Stokkbye is pretty common as a bulk blend brand.

If I were to have a guess, I'd bet it's Peter Stokkbye Highland Whiskey. 1/3 Virginia, 1/3 Cavendish, 1/3 white burley and all sprayed with a generic whiskey to case.

I say this only because Peter Stokkbye is pretty common as a bulk blend brand.

That sounds good. Looks like I have my final two tobaccos picked:

1Q and Highland Whiskey :mug:

I also need to pick up a quart jar for that house blend you sent me. It's a good idea, and the quart jar will allow me to add to it if I don't like any of the tobaccos I have in my other jars.

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but how do you get a nice rhythm without tasting burnt? If that makes sense. I've been trying to quit dipping with the aspirations of a good bowl (not that kind knuckleheads) once in a while. But every time I do, I guess I get too impatient and instead of that sweet vanilla or cherry I end up tasting like a burnt cigarette amd smell like an ash tray. Any pointers?

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but how do you get a nice rhythm without tasting burnt? If that makes sense. I've been trying to quit dipping with the aspirations of a good bowl (not that kind knuckleheads) once in a while. But every time I do, I guess I get too impatient and instead of that sweet vanilla or cherry I end up tasting like a burnt cigarette amd smell like an ash tray. Any pointers?

You've got to slow down. Sip slow and long like it's a straw.

A common saying is that if it's not about to go out you are going too fast. When you do find that point it will be a whole new experience and you will begin tp actually taste the tobacco.

Lastly, it may also just be the tobacco. I do not care for latakia or perique because all I get is the ashy, powdery, smokey flavors of an ashtray from them. The pepper and spice notes come across as bite to me.

Not too much left.

IMG_20151217_194511809.jpg

IMG_20151217_194533003_HDR.jpg

I don't know about the variety being more limited, especially once you start shopping from online stores. The bulk variety is amazing. And then you have places like Pipes and Cigars where you can make your own bulk blend. The options are truly staggering.

I don't know about the variety being more limited, especially once you start shopping from online stores. The bulk variety is amazing. And then you have places like Pipes and Cigars where you can make your own bulk blend. The options are truly staggering.

I just ordered my own blend from P&C.:rockin:

Truly love this thread. I haven't posted in a while. Only had time to glimpse through a few postings.today. They are awish inspiring. Making your own pipe. That is, that is,...true

Yes, I was referring specifically to brick and mortar having a generally limited variety. Most all of the stores around here cater to cigar and have a very limited supply of pipe tobacco on hand.

I still have 1 more out of the way store to check out tho'. Rumor has it that they have a much larger supply for pipes than most.

600 grit sandpapering is complete, and the last coat of cherry stain has been applied. Next up, possibly later tonight, is moving to the buffing wheel with some brown tripoli. After that, it's carnauba wax and then it's complete! :ban:

Latest posts

Back