Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just ordered 3 Missouri Meerschaums, another can of Molto Dolce, a tin of CAO Bella Vanilla, and a tin of Cornell & Diehl Briar Fox. I've had my MM for 7-8 years. I bought it as a joke (in regards to my 12 teeth), but have thoroughly enjoyed it. it's time to put it to rest and break in a new one or three.

Cancel your order and get the bag of 10 factory seconds straight from the MM website. It's a fantastic deal on some very good pipes.

http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

Try a bunch of different styles. Keep notes on what you like and dislike. When it comes to tobacco, there isn't much I don't like except cigarettes, chemical tasting aromatics, and infused cigars. Natural flavors are what I want. Pipesandcigars.com has a great selection of bulk blends. Mississippi River by Seattle Pipe Club is a world class English blend that is available in bulk as small as 1oz samples. Peter Stokkebye is another brand they carry in bulk that is wallet friendly but very good, their offerings smoke well over their pricepoint, especially their flakes. Their luxury twist flake is a pure Virginia flake lightly topped with a caramel flavoring and is a great smoke any time of day. Hell, in a few weeks after I settle into my new place I will put together a bunch of small samples of a bunch of different things for you to try.

That's really kind of you! That would be amazing. I won't lie, I smelled some of the non-aromatics and while they don't smell terrible, they smell a little intimidating haha

Right now I have an ounce of champagne and peaches and cream. Both of which are ok, though lane 1Q is much better. I know that when I smoked a pipe before, I had a blend that I believe was Virginia and black Cavendish that I really liked. I believe it was a non aromatic but I don't remember what it was. I bought it in a 2 ounce tin.

When it comes to the aromatics, that is what you really want. A mild, soft, flavored note in the background. Because otherwise they have that chemical taste BH mentions and are not pleasant.

Yeah I'm learning that. This peaches and cream I have tastes a little chemically. I'm thinking of going to some non-aromatics because I'd like a little Fuller flavor out of it. I will say that even though 1Q is mild, I am starting to really enjoy it. The more I smoke it the more I'm picking up on the flavors. And I'm glad I started with it, since it doesn't have much bite unless you really puff on it.

Yeah I'm learning that. This peaches and cream I have tastes a little chemically. I'm thinking of going to some non-aromatics because I'd like a little Fuller flavor out of it. I will say that even though 1Q is mild, I am starting to really enjoy it. The more I smoke it the more I'm picking up on the flavors. And I'm glad I started with it, since it doesn't have much bite unless you really puff on it.

I've found it best to avoid most tobaccos with the fruit/flavor in the name. Cherry whatever, Peaches and, Vanilla this and that, Rum something, Creamy Butterscotch, etc...

They usually come across to me as very chemical/medicinal and cloying.

With the exception of VBC. I came across that by surprise not knowing what the VBC acronym was for. It screams vanilla, smells like a vanilla candle, and I find it fantastic alone and in house blends.

I've found it best to avoid most tobaccos with the fruit/flavor in the name. Cherry whatever, Peaches and, Vanilla this and that, Rum something, Creamy Butterscotch, etc...

They usually come across to me as very chemical/medicinal and cloying.

With the exception of VBC. I came across that by surprise not knowing what the VBC acronym was for. It screams vanilla, smells like a vanilla candle, and I find it fantastic alone and in house blends.

I'll have to check that out. I've been mixing the peaches and cream with some 1Q, which helps. It smells amazing though lol it smells like peaches and cream oatmeal. When I first smelled the tobacco I wanted to eat it xP

I had a dream that the Briar Fox showed up and it was like a 20 pound brick. and every time I tried to break some off and rub it out, it just made smaller bricks. but the big one always stayed the same size.

I had a dream that the Briar Fox showed up and it was like a 20 pound brick. and every time I tried to break some off and rub it out, it just made smaller bricks. but the big one always stayed the same size.

No more acid before bed.

There's a bucket of MM's on the counter at the tobaccy shop by where I work, but he only sells pouches. I know I can grab some Captain Black and absolutely love it. I'll look for tins at the nicer joint in my town afterward. I'm gonna kick the Pall Malls for good I hope.

No more acid before bed.

There's a bucket of MM's on the counter at the tobaccy shop by where I work, but he only sells pouches. I know I can grab some Captain Black and absolutely love it. I'll look for tins at the nicer joint in my town afterward. I'm gonna kick the Pall Malls for good I hope.

Cancel your order and get the bag of 10 factory seconds straight from the MM website. It's a fantastic deal on some very good pipes.

http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html

check out the cob deal here.^ after taxes I'm gonna get this.

University Flake is less aromatic than I'd hoped for. Very little of the plum/berry notes it is accredited for.

Royal Yacht kicks my arse with the nicotine every time.

Three star bronze has finally "opened" up to what I got from it the first time I tried. A truely lovely butterscotch sweetness and a room note to make you drool.

Full Virginia has proven challenging to keep at the right moisture levels but is always a pleasant smoke.

P&C has yet to ship the GH&C Dark Flake scented. Perpetual backorder, but I've not been charged so, meh.

Three star bronze has finally "opened" up to what I got from it the first time I tried. A truely lovely butterscotch sweetness and a room note to make you drool.

Woah. I might have drooled a little just reading that. Then again, I generally have a hard time controlling my face as it is.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a pipe? Preferably with a decent sized bowl, and bent stem. I've got a small cheap pipe for taking out so I wouldn't mind a bigger pipe, something I can just puff on while sitting at home. The styles I've seen that caught my eye are calabash styles and churchwardens, but I'm open to suggestions.

My birthday is coming up this month, so I'll probably have about $50 from that to spend. I can't go much over whatever I get for my birthday, since times are a bit tough but I'd really like a nicer pipe. The one I have only lasts for about 20 minutes.

For $50 you can forget about a decent calabash. Churchwardens at that price and below can be finicky.

Why not save some of that cash and just get the MM grab bag and have 11 pipes on hand?

When I bought, it included 2 of the largest pipes (country gentleman and a general) and the rest were their standard pipes.

Otherwise, I suggest you just go visit a smoke shop and check out their basket pipes (many have lower priced pipes on display that they consider basket) or seek out some of the Grabow pipes online. I have a Grabow Big Pipe Textured and it is a great pipe with a huge bowl.

For $50 you can forget about a decent calabash. Churchwardens at that price and below can be finicky.

Why not save some of that cash and just get the MM grab bag and have 11 pipes on hand?

When I bought, it included 2 of the largest pipes (country gentleman and a general) and the rest were their standard pipes.

Otherwise, I suggest you just go visit a smoke shop and check out their basket pipes (many have lower priced pipes on display that they consider basket) or seek out some of the Grabow pipes online. I have a Grabow Big Pipe Textured and it is a great pipe with a huge bowl.

I thought about betting an MM grab bag. Are they all straight stems? And I didn't figure I could get a calabash at that price range but I figured it was worth asking lol just in case. I've seen plenty of churchwardens but I'm leery of buying a cheaper pipe without knowing if it's good. A lot of them look like they're made mainly to be props for LOTR fans lol

I may just suck it up and wait 'til I have money in a few months. Maybe spend that $50 on different tobaccos. I just wish this pipe smoked longer lol 20 minutes in is when I'm just really starting to enjoy the smoke and relax.

I thought about betting an MM grab bag. Are they all straight stems? And I didn't figure I could get a calabash at that price range but I figured it was worth asking lol just in case. I've seen plenty of churchwardens but I'm leery of buying a cheaper pipe without knowing if it's good. A lot of them look like they're made mainly to be props for LOTR fans lol

I may just suck it up and wait 'til I have money in a few months. Maybe spend that $50 on different tobaccos. I just wish this pipe smoked longer lol 20 minutes in is when I'm just really starting to enjoy the smoke and relax.

No. Not all of them were straight stems. But, with MM, the upside is that you can buy bent stems for $0.50 each and they are all standard. My favorite is the freehand bent.

It "may" be possible to find a calabash for that price on ebay from someone who doesn't really know what they have.

For the price, you can't beat MM, Grabow, or some of the Lorenzo Spitfire.

I especially like the Grabow and Spitfire filtro because they are easy to clean with nothing more than a paper towel if you happen to not have a pipe cleaner on hand.

my 3 MMs came in today along with a can of Briar Fox, Molto Dolce, and a tin of Bella Vanilla. not sure if I want to open that Briar Fox or put it in the cellar. the new can of Molto Dolce is gonna hide away, but I already had a bowl of the Bella.

No. Not all of them were straight stems. But, with MM, the upside is that you can buy bent stems for $0.50 each and they are all standard. My favorite is the freehand bent.

It "may" be possible to find a calabash for that price on ebay from someone who doesn't really know what they have.

For the price, you can't beat MM, Grabow, or some of the Lorenzo Spitfire.

I especially like the Grabow and Spitfire filtro because they are easy to clean with nothing more than a paper towel if you happen to not have a pipe cleaner on hand.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those. This pipe isn't hard to clean which I like. I ran out of pipe cleaners so until I get some more I've just been using paper towels, and I'll leave them in at night to absorb any moisture.

Awesome! Thanks for the advice, I'll look into those. This pipe isn't hard to clean which I like. I ran out of pipe cleaners so until I get some more I've just been using paper towels, and I'll leave them in at night to absorb any moisture.

Also, do bear in mind that ghe size of a calabash is misleading. Most, if not all proper calabash pipes have a meerschaum bowl insert.

Keep in mind that there will likely be some good deals to be had during International Pipe Smoking Day (2/20) on the major sites. Maybe hold off on buying anything until then as you're more likely to get the best price.

Keep in mind that there will likely be some good deals to be had during International Pipe Smoking Day (2/20) on the major sites. Maybe hold off on buying anything until then as you're more likely to get the best price.

My birthday is on the 24th, so sadly I'll probably miss that sale. Unless I get an early birthday present but I kinda doubt that I will.

Also, do bear in mind that ghe size of a calabash is misleading. Most, if not all proper calabash pipes have a meerschaum bowl insert.

Oh yeah, I know they aren't as big as they look, bowl wise. I just really like the style lol and I've heard good things about how well they smoke. I probably should get a meerschaum though, since I'll be traveling a lot later this year and probably want something a little less delicate.

Oh yeah, I know they aren't as big as they look, bowl wise. I just really like the style lol and I've heard good things about how well they smoke. I probably should get a meerschaum though, since I'll be traveling a lot later this year and probably want something a little less delicate.

Yes. They are known for smoking extremely cool thus allowing every nuance of the smoke to come through.

FWIW,

http://www.meerschaumstore.com/original_sherlock_holmes_calabash_pipe.asp

has just about the best price I've seen for a new calabash. The body is mahogany and not gourd tho. But $89 for a new, medium sized calabash isn't too bad.

Yes. They are known for smoking extremely cool thus allowing every nuance of the smoke to come through.

FWIW,

http://www.meerschaumstore.com/original_sherlock_holmes_calabash_pipe.asp

has just about the best price I've seen for a new calabash. The body is mahogany and not gourd tho. But $89 for a new, medium sized calabash isn't too bad.

Ohh.. Nice. I might try to save up a little more and try to get one of those. How much difference does the mahogany vs gourd make? I know a more authentic one would be made with gourd but does it actually affect the smoke?

Ohh.. Nice. I might try to save up a little more and try to get one of those. How much difference does the mahogany vs gourd make? I know a more authentic one would be made with gourd but does it actually affect the smoke?

I do not know as I don't have a calabash nor have I ever smoked one. Have coveted one for a long while but never could justify the expense. And now with ~30 pipes in my collection it is even less justifiable.

At most, I'd expect the gourd to be lighter than mahogany based on wood density alone. They should smoke the same regardless by design.

I do not know as I don't have a calabash nor have I ever smoked one. Have coveted one for a long while but never could justify the expense. And now with ~30 pipes in my collection it is even less justifiable.

At most, I'd expect the gourd to be lighter than mahogany based on wood density alone. They should smoke the same regardless by design.

That makes sense, that one would be lighter. I've wanted a calabash since I first started smoking a pipe lol same with the churchwarden, to a lesser degree. I might just wait 'til this summer when I get some money come in and buy a really nice pipe and with my birthday money just get a slightly nicer pipe to replace the one I have now, and maybe some tobacco if I have enough left over.

I can't decide between Briar Fox and Gunjin tonight.

The only logical choice is both. Two pipes at the same time. And post a YouTube video because I need a good laugh. Had some Semios that was gifted to me tonight. A pure burley baccy that is surprisingly complex and tasty. Very dry though so pack tight and sip slowly. Gonna have to order a pound of the stuff to cellar.

I finally was able to restock my tobacco a bit, I picked up 4 oz at the local tobacco store. I decided to get away from the aromatics because they just weren't doing it for me. I liked the Lane 1Q alright. It was good, and I'll probably get some more of it eventually but I wanted to try something different so I ended up getting an ounce of straight black Cavendish (recommended to me to blend with the English blends if I needed to tone them down a bit) and then I got 2 ounces of Peter Stokkebye Proper English and an ounce of Dunhill My Mixture 965. I really enjoyed the 965, and I'll probably try the proper English later tonight or tomorrow depending on when I got to sleep. So far though I'm really enjoying English blend a lot more than the aromatics.

I finally was able to restock my tobacco a bit, I picked up 4 oz at the local tobacco store. I decided to get away from the aromatics because they just weren't doing it for me. I liked the Lane 1Q alright. It was good, and I'll probably get some more of it eventually but I wanted to try something different so I ended up getting an ounce of straight black Cavendish (recommended to me to blend with the English blends if I needed to tone them down a bit) and then I got 2 ounces of Peter Stokkebye Proper English and an ounce of Dunhill My Mixture 965. I really enjoyed the 965, and I'll probably try the proper English later tonight or tomorrow depending on when I got to sleep. So far though I'm really enjoying English blend a lot more than the aromatics.

English blends are probably my favorite. It's a toss up between them and either straight Virginias or Virginia/Perique blends. Pure, natural tobacco is my jam. Not many topped or cased blends get me like the non aros, but there are some really tasty ones out there.

Had a few smokes of the seville blend I have from our shop. Finally found my pipe, apparently the puppy ran off with it so my wife stuck it in her desk drawer. It smokes, 1000 times better than that stupid corn cob I bought. Now I need to find a tobacco I like. The blends from the shop were okay; I don't think I'll ever find something I can't enjoy to some extent. Just nothing I love yet. I'm going to go back to trying out some other brands instead. Thinking about one of those Tsuge tins they have, purely because they have nice artwork. Don't know **** about any of it otherwise.

English blends are probably my favorite. It's a toss up between them and either straight Virginias or Virginia/Perique blends. Pure, natural tobacco is my jam. Not many topped or cased blends get me like the non aros, but there are some really tasty ones out there.

I'm thoroughly enjoying them so far. I had some aros that were decent but these so far have been much much more enjoyable. I wish my local tobacco shop had a better selection though. They're mainly a cigar shop.

Had a few smokes of the seville blend I have from our shop. Finally found my pipe, apparently the puppy ran off with it so my wife stuck it in her desk drawer. It smokes, 1000 times better than that stupid corn cob I bought. Now I need to find a tobacco I like. The blends from the shop were okay; I don't think I'll ever find something I can't enjoy to some extent. Just nothing I love yet. I'm going to go back to trying out some other brands instead. Thinking about one of those Tsuge tins they have, purely because they have nice artwork. Don't know **** about any of it otherwise.

which Tsuge?

I don't even know. I just saw a display of them when I was there and they looked cool. Any suggestions of whats good?

Tsuge Knight. :D

notorious-rap-mogul-suge-knight-faces-murder-trial-for-a-hit-and-run.jpg

As much as I like to support local business, there isn't anything convenient around me for baccy and such for pipes. Just got my most recent order from P&C and am not gonna complain at all for under $30 shipped. The Moonshine Pipes XXX smells crazy good. A whiskey topped English blend, should be right up my alley.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1455659416.430008.jpg

Back