Piney/Dank IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iagainsti

Reaction score
I’m planning on brewing this IPA once some carboy space frees up in a few weeks. Trying to go for a piney, dank brew. Let me know what you think!

5.5 Gallons
Target OG 1.064
IBUs ~65

12 lbs 2-row Mash @152
.5 lbs victory

.25 oz Columbus 13% AA @60 min
.25 oz Simcoe 13% AA @60 min

.5oz Columbus 13% AA @15 min
.5oz Simcoe 13% AA @15 min

.75 oz Columbus 13% AA @5 min
.75 oz Simcoe 13% AA @5 min

1 oz Cascade 7% AA @ Knockout

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Dry Hop: .5 oz Columbus, .5 oz Simcoe, 1 oz Cascade

Looks good! But I dont regard Cascade as being overly "piney", chinook on the other hand... Nice and pine flavored. But the columbus and simcoe are a good call.

Chinook is awesome especially with simcoe. Also consider Northern Brewer. Higher AA and known for it's pine characteristics. Columbus, Chinook, Northern Brewer and Simcoe is basically my house IPA.

I'd move all those 15 and 5 minute hopes to knockout/whirlpool. You're just wasting perfectly good hops putting them in boiling wort.

Mmmmm, piney & dank...

Ditch the Victory. Add 3-4% Crystal 10-15L and 5-6% White Wheat. Mash at 149F.

I aldo agree with ditching the Cascade, but instead of Chinook, use a mixture of Nugget/Apollo/Centennial to accompany the Columbus and Simcoe.

Here is one example of many possibilities:

0.50 oz Columbus @ 60 min
0.75 oz Columbus @ 10 min
0.75 oz Centennial @ 10 min
0.75 oz Columbus @ 180F Hopstand
1.25 oz Simcoe @ 180F Hopstand
0.25 oz Apollo @ 180F Hopstand
0.50 oz Columbus @ Dryhop
1.00 oz Centennial @ Dryhop
1.75 oz Simcoe @ Dryhop
0.25 oz Apollo @ Dryhop

Switch yeast to WLP090 and pitch a healthy starter

Mmmmm, piney & dank...

Ditch the Victory. Add 3-4% Crystal 10-15L and 5-6% White Wheat. Mash at 149F.

Switch yeast to WLP090 and pitch a healthy starter

What will the Crystal do that Victory wont? Ive never used victory so I dont know much about it.

And I agree with the WLP090, that stuff is a beast. Itll clean up your beer in a few days.

I like your grain bill. Someone suggested some wheat malt and I agree with that, too for some head.

A third (I think) vote for drop the Cascade and go with some Chinook with your Columbus and Simcoe. I'm working up a 5gal batch of a dank, piney IPA myself with this hop bill:

1oz Chk at 60min
1oz Chk at 15min
0.5oz each of CTZ and Sim at 5min
1oz each of CTZ and Sim hopstand
0.5oz each of CTZ and Sim dry hop

What will the Crystal do that Victory wont? Ive never used victory so I dont know much about it.

Victory is very nutty, a bit roasty/toasty, warm, dark, deep and rich in flavor... I personally don't like it in American IPAs... in any amount. It's good for Amber ales and Red IPAs though whereupon you want more malt backbone. I just feel it detracts from the hops.

Light crystal in very small amounts will add just enough subtle caramel sweetness and body to complete an IPA for most palates. Some folks completely do away with it, but I find C10-C40 can have purpose in the 3-4% grist range for this style.

Victory is very nutty, a bit roasty/toasty, warm, dark, deep and rich in flavor... I personally don't like it in American IPAs... in any amount. It's good for Amber ales and Red IPAs though whereupon you want more malt backbone. I just feel it detracts from the hops.

Light crystal in very small amounts will add just enough subtle caramel sweetness and body to complete an IPA for most palates. Some folks completely do away with it, but I find C10-C40 can have purpose in the 3-4% grist range for this style.

Gotcha. Im one of the guys who likes crystal malts. I think for certain IPA's they add a nice sweetness. And I love the color they provide

Pretty similar to an IPA I'm brewing this weekend. I'm splitting the base malt between English and domestic 2 row, but have added the Victory.

I'm bittering with Apollo, then adding 1:1:.5 of Simcoe, Chinook, and Apollo at 10 minutes, FO, and dry hop.

Using WLP007 or WYeast 1335.

Definitely add some Chinook. Dank and piney is exactly how I would describe it. Not a very good dry hop candidate as I found out with my CDA.

Based on how many hop cones I got out of my first year Chinook hop vine, I better start to find more recipes to use it in :)

Back