Pin vs. Ball Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
I am about to start building a draft setup. i am probably going to have to piece it out from used and sale parts. I am doing a simple two keg system in a minifridge. I know it will grow into more. For the time being I am going with two kegs, a dual body regulator, tubing, 5 lb CO2 tank, and picnic taps to start. I know there are pin lock and ball lock kegs. I see conversion kits for sale, and I wanted to know if one style had an advantage over the other. Also if anyone an tell me of other little things I will need.

I may just hold out and buy a prebuilt setup, but with a new baby (May 6th) and my wife staying home to care for her and our toddler, the cheaper the better.

Thanks.

The major difference is the size of the kegs if they are in the original configuration. The ball locks are taller and smaller diameter and the pin locks are shorter and wider. I don't know the specs. There should be no need for a conversion, you will just need to get all the right equipment from the start.

I went with ball locks because I thought (correctly) that 3 would fit in my refrigerator.

Pin locks kegs are going for less $$. The regulator would be for both. The connectors should be about the same price.

Ball locks (used) are getting harder to come by. At least at an inexpensive price.

Latest posts

Back