pin or ball locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FEARDIZ

Reaction score
is there any difference ( funcational ) between pin or ball lock kegs? I know they are made a bit different, but is one any better than the other?

Functionally, no. They both do the same.

When I got into kegging, I found a better deal with a bunch of ball locks, thus I went with them. If the reverse was true, I'd be a pin lock guy.

FWIW, there is a pressure release valve on ball lock kegs, I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist with pin locks, but there are easy work-arounds. I just find the built-in valve useful for purging out O2.

Ball-locks are becoming increasingly rare. So if you're starting new, I'd just go straight to pin-locks.

There's nothing wrong with either. The only downfall is that the pin's usually don't have a pressure release valve as someone else mentioned.

The only one thing (to me) is that ball-locks are taller and thinner, whereas pin locks are slightly shorter and fatter. My kegarator can hold 6 ball locks but it wouldn't be able to hold 6 pin locks due to the wider size.

M_C

Back