Pin lock keg posts.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyobow

Reaction score
A friend gave me 4 cornys that have pin lock posts , can they be switched out with ball lock posts ? My set up now is for ball lock. Thanks

I would just setup the hoses so you can just unscrew the locks and switch out for what keg you are gonna use. I did this on the account I knew I would be getting the coke style kegs but was purchasing the pepsi style kegs. Works like a charm. You need to get 2 bolts and 2 different locks per keg.

It is possible, but you would have to purchase the correct posts, because the threading is different from manufacturer to manufacturer. From my experience, firestone has the same threading for both their pin lock and ball lock.

I have also been able to swap the posts between cornelius branded kegs as well.

If you don't have the spare posts already, it isn't worth it though, as each one is usually around 10 dollars a piece.

I second the above comment about using flared connectors for all your tubing so that you can swap between any disconnect you need. I believe I found an online vendor that has the 1/4'' flared connectors for pretty cheap. I have used well over 100 of these for all my different kegerators, jockey boxes, transferring tubes, air distributors, etc. I also have 80 kegs, a good mix of pin and ball lock, so I need to be able to swap the disconnect for whichever keg I want to use.

edit - I should add that I've done these swaps. My friend had some firestone ball locks and a lot of pin locks, and wanted to get everything pin lock, so he just brought the posts, and we did a direct swap of the posts. I also had a leaky cornelius pin lock due to the posts, and I have spare cornelius fittings, so I just put the ball lock posts on that pin lock keg.

Wyobow: I don't think you can just change out the posts, based on what I've read. I'm not saying it's not possible, it just doesn't seem to be a simple swap.

I have seven pin lock kegs, and I have six ball lock kegs. It's a pain to have two styles of kegs, taps, etc.

I'm thinking of selling my pin locks as a way to resolve this.

I'll watch this thread to see if there is in fact a simple way to change over the styles.

Back