Pimento-Aged Belgian Dark Strong Ale - Recipe Advice???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdaferret

Reaction score
I made this recipe with rum-raisin-chocolate-chip dessert bread in mind... I'm a novice when it comes to recipes, so I'd like to see what you all think! All figures were estimated using the calculator at Brewer's Friend... does anyone else think those IBU estimates are low?

Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: French Saison (Wyeast #3711)
Yeast Starter: No (Maybe use two packs? Is it necessary?)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 15.08 (seems low...)
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 31.53
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 28 days @ 66-68
Additional Fermentation: Bottle condition
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 66-68

9.90 lb Pilsen LME
1.33 lb Belgian CaraMunich
0.50 lb Flaked Corn
0.50 lb Belgian Biscuit
0.33 lb Belgian Special B
0.33 lb Belgian Chocolate
1.00 lb D2 Belgian Candi Syrup
1.00 lb Amber Belgian Candi Sugar

1.50 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5%) @ 60 min
1.00 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (4%) @ 30 min
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5%) @ 30 min

2.00 gr Grains of paradise @ 10 min
1.50 oz Rum-soaked pimento wood chips @ secondary (7-10 days)

The only thing out of place to me is the Flaked Corn. Not sure why you want it in there.

I'm assuming this one will age for a while, so I'd bump up the hops a bit.

Everything else looks pretty good.

Plus, I would highly recommend a starter for this brew. It's so easy to do. Even if you got 2 fresh packs you would still be underpitching.

I haven't used 3711 with a wort gravity this high yet, but it's a mother of a yeast, and will usually keep going till it's bone dry. I would expect the FG to be lower if you had a proper pitch.

I saw a couple of clone threads out there for Rochefort 8 & 10 that use either flaked corn or wheat... love those beers, but I'm also not so sure what they're used for... body or mouthfeel?

Currently at 3 oz. hops... go to 4, or more? Maybe 2 oz. Styrian @ 60, 2 oz. Hallertau @ 30?

I've also never done a yeast starter before (don't own a stirplate).

Thanks for the advice!

I would at least go with wheat if had a choice. I'm sure there are other people on here with way more experience with Belgian Strong Ales than me that would have a different opinion on the use of flaked corn in this style.

I think I would bump the IBU's into the upper 20's/low 30's.

Gonna switch the hops to 2 oz Northern Brewer @ 60, 2 oz Styrian Goldings @ 30, for an IBU of 29.69.

Interestingly enough, the Rochefort 8 clone on Northern Brewer adds 1 lb. of corn sugar at the end of the boil... same purpose as the flaked corn for the Rochefort 8 clone on here, I assume? I think I'll give the flakes a try.

I don't think corn sugar and flaked corn can be interchangeable.

Corn sugar is 100% fermentable and will help dry out the beer. Flaked corn will provide some flavor to the beer and lighten the color and body of the beer.

Currently at 3 oz. hops... go to 4, or more? Maybe 2 oz. Styrian @ 60, 2 oz. Hallertau @ 30?

I've also never done a yeast starter before (don't own a stirplate).

For the hop amounts, just do the IBU calculation to figure out how much.

Although it is optimal, you do not need a stir plate to make use of a starter.

It can also be helpful to look at the BJCP style guidelines online to get an idea of typical parameter values for a particular beer.

I don't think corn sugar and flaked corn can be interchangeable.

Corn sugar is 100% fermentable and will help dry out the beer. Flaked corn will provide some flavor to the beer and lighten the color and body of the beer.

I see... thanks for the info.

After some more thought & research, I'm gonna use the corn flakes; should add some sweetness, smoothness, creaminess...

Gonna update the recipe & get it over to the Belgian Strong shelf... and hopefully this'll get brewed in the next couple weekends!

Back