Pilsner v 2-row and single infusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubiwan

Reaction score
i want to consider brewing a grolcsh or pilsner urquel clone. Had a can of Grolsch recently, and it was pretty darn decent. I like these lagers with a little more challenge in their taste.

Question: based on recent data i read, that little difference exists between base malts, can i replace the german pilsner with 2-row (canadian in my case i guess) in this recipe, and expect similar results?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/thats-grolsch.38132/
My other question is can i get away with single infusion mash with these recipes? The original called for step mashing, decoction etc. This'd be a show stopper for me.

For the International Pale Lager style, I think single infusion with batch sparge is just fine. I brewed a similar style, the International Amber Lager last year that way and it won a gold medal.

For the Czech Pils style, a decoction makes a difference - this is a difficult style to get to, in my experience - that maltiness is really something.

Regarding grain, I guess I would answer that you can substitute two-row for Pilsner, it will make a fine beer, but Pilsner malt would be better.

The real key for any lager (well, any style) is fermentation.

IMHO you can forget about brewing a Czech Pilsner with infusion. My Pilsner Urquell clone comes very close to an unfiltered version of the original but it uses a double decoction schedule with 1 hour for each decoction. And then there's fermentation, especially if you want to get that diacetyl that really complements the maltiness from the decoction.

Latest posts

Back