Pilsner Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemidoc

Reaction score
I went to the LHBS today to buy some bulk grains and stuff.
Bought 55# of German Pilsner 50# Two Row 2# Crystal 15 5 ox Saaz 5 oz Pearle.
My intention was to get enough stuff to brew a Pilsner tomorrow but I forgot to get Carapils
Recipe I was looking at was 10# pilsner 8oz Carapils 8 oz Crystal 15 and one oz each of the hops I got.
Do I just use the 10# pilsner and 8 oz Crystal 15 or should I use 1# Crystal 15?
BTW the LHBS is 30 miles from here and My Ram only gets 15MPG

I agree with Black Island Brewer.

Pilsners can sometimes end up thin in the mouthfeel. That's why the Carapils is there. Mash a couple degrees warmer and I doubt you'll notice it not being there.

I would eliminate the crystal from the recipe all together, crystal malt has no place in a traditional pilsner recipe. Assuming you are brewing a bohemian pilsner (seems like it based upon the Saaz hops), it is traditionally brewed with 100% pilsner malt using a triple decoction mash method. Decoction brewing requires additional equipment, time and expertise so many homebrewers (myself included) just do a single infusion mash and use some carapils to help replace the compounds that would be formed during the decoction process.

I have brewed pilsner both with and without the carapils and both turn out great.

For a traditional bohemian (czech) pilsner I would go with the following:

Target OG: 1.056 /6 gallon post boil volume

12.75 LB German Pilsner Malt

Mash 1 hour at 154 F

90 minute boil

@ 60 minutes 1.65 oz Saaz for 23 IBU
@ 30 minutes 2 oz Saaz for 15 IBU
@ 10 mintes 1 oz saaz
@ 0 min 1 oz saaz

This is based on 3.5% AA, so adjust accordingly based on your hops.

Keys to a great pilsner:

Soft water- I use 50/50 RO and tap. The soft water prevents with relatively high hopping grom becoming too harsh and lends to a very smooth bittering

90 minute boil to drive off DMS

Big healthy starter- this is mandatory, use a pitching rate calculator.

Pitch cold and let let temp ramp up: I usually pitch at 48, let temp rise to 50, then hold here until just before the krausen begins to drop, then raise 1 degree F per day for 4 days, then hold at this temp until it has reached final gravity + a few days.

This is a very clean beer that does not mask any off flavors well, so a clean healthy fermentation is key, and that means a big starter with good temperature control.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

To blazin : That's a bit beyond my ability at this point.
I have the equipment to do a decoction.
I figure I will do a single infusion with 10.5 pounds of Pilsner and .5# Crystal 15
Then: 1 oz Pearle for 60 then 1 oz saaz for 5 and 1 oz saaz for 1 min
I'm still new to this so anything constructive is appreciated.
I will update in a couple of months when it's done

I would eliminate the crystal from the recipe all together, crystal malt has no place in a traditional pilsner recipe. Assuming you are brewing a bohemian pilsner (seems like it based upon the Saaz hops), it is traditionally brewed with 100% pilsner malt using a triple decoction mash method. Decoction brewing requires additional equipment, time and expertise so many homebrewers (myself included) just do a single infusion mash and use some carapils to help replace the compounds that would be formed during the decoction process.

I have brewed pilsner both with and without the carapils and both turn out great.

For a traditional bohemian (czech) pilsner I would go with the following:

Target OG: 1.056 /6 gallon post boil volume

12.75 LB German Pilsner Malt

Mash 1 hour at 154 F

90 minute boil

@ 60 minutes 1.65 oz Saaz for 23 IBU
@ 30 minutes 2 oz Saaz for 15 IBU
@ 10 mintes 1 oz saaz
@ 0 min 1 oz saaz

This is based on 3.5% AA, so adjust accordingly based on your hops.

Keys to a great pilsner:

Soft water- I use 50/50 RO and tap. The soft water prevents with relatively high hopping grom becoming too harsh and lends to a very smooth bittering

90 minute boil to drive off DMS

Big healthy starter- this is mandatory, use a pitching rate calculator.

Pitch cold and let let temp ramp up: I usually pitch at 48, let temp rise to 50, then hold here until just before the krausen begins to drop, then raise 1 degree F per day for 4 days, then hold at this temp until it has reached final gravity + a few days.

This is a very clean beer that does not mask any off flavors well, so a clean healthy fermentation is key, and that means a big starter with good temperature control.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

I would second almost all of this. I'm not as fussy about the diacetyl rest at the end - I just bump it up by 5 degrees after the krausen starts falling rather than the slow ramp up - the yeast seem to appreciate sudden warm shifts over sudden cool shifts. I start at 45, though, and let it free float up to 50. I'm fussier on the drop to lagering temps, though, dropping 2 degrees a day to lager temps - 35F.

I suspect the C15 in this recipe is to make up for the lack of a decoction. I'd probably use melanoidin malt instead of the crystal, though.

Hemidoc-

Your recipe sounds fine, not necessarily traditional but should end up with a good beer regardless.

What parts of my recommendations are you saying are beyond your abilities?

The water part isn't super critic and as black island discussed, there are other acceptable fermentation temperature profiles.

However, a good yeast starter and some method of controlling fermentation temperature is vital to any good pale lager.

If you have any specific questions on how to accomplish this I would be happy to point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Hemidoc-

What parts of my recommendations are you saying are beyond your abilities?

The water part isn't super critic and as black island discussed, there are other acceptable fermentation temperature profiles.

The part about the water threw me for a minute.
Going back and reading your post again I'm good with it.

It's in the fermenter.
I used 11# German pilsner .5# crystal 15 1oz Pearle 1 oz saaz and 1 oz saaz.
Ended up with an OG of 1.065.
Obviously this will not be exactly to style but I'm ok with that since I'm probably using the wrong yeast anyway. I only have White Labs 830. My White Labs 800 will be here late this week.

Back