"Pilsner" malt cheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaefathan

Reaction score
Hi, I work at a brewery and we have lots of US 2-row, and 10L munich for employees to "sample." I would like to brew some recipes with Pilsner malt, but it's $1.75/lb at the LHBS.

I was wondering if anyone had any 'cheats' for making pilsner malt flavor. Something like: x amount 2-row with a small amount of one or two ingredients; the goal being to save money.
thanks

Hi, I work at a brewery and we have lots of US 2-row, and 10L munich for employees to "sample." I would like to brew some recipes with Pilsner malt, but it's $1.75/lb at the LHBS.

I was wondering if anyone had any 'cheats' for making pilsner malt flavor. Something like: x amount 2-row with a small amount of one or two ingredients; the goal being to save money.
thanks

Weyerman pilsner malt is awesome stuff. There's no replicating it. Im in same boat, its so cheap to buy 2 row that I have made every lager with it. The difference can't be that huge as both are very lightly toasted. So I figure who cares? Well I'm sure somebody here cares very much and may even tell me about it, but I don't not really. Try making a little darker beer like a Dunkel I think it'll be less noticeable. Also the more hops you use I'm sure that will mask the difference as well. Mostly , there's just a difference doesn't mean one is better than the other they're just different. Bottom line 2 row is going to give you every bit the light beer you're looking for. Cool hookup on grain.

Can you possibly order a few sacks of Pilsner malt through the brewery? Unless it's a big operation, they probably order (specialty) malts in 50 or 55# sacks coming in on pallets. Maybe they can tack some Pilsner on to the order.

Or look for a bulk or group grain buy in your area.

In addition to what @applescrap said, there's no alternative to Pilsner malt for brewing Pilsners and many Pilsner based lagers. Pilsner malts are malted in a certain way and the least kilned of all malts. Some are (slightly) undermodified for that exclusive grainy Pilsner aroma and flavor.

There's no going "back" from 2-row or pale malt to Pilsner, however, it's very feasible to "adapt" Pilsner malt when a recipe calls for 2-row or pale malt by adding a little biscuit malt or Munich or both.

I wonder if 20 to 30 % rice could create what you are looking for?

Could be. Maybe the OP can post the recipe(s) he has in mind.

Many American Lagers use rice or corn starch adjuncts, and are brewed with 2-row. Now a German or Bohemian Pilsner needs Pilsner malt. Double or triple decocted if possible.

Hi, everyone, thanks for all the info.
I want the Pilsner malt for making a Helles, Bock, and some traditional Lambics. It seems like most sours call for 50-60% Pilsner. I was thinking that if the Pilsner is slightly unmodified, maybe 80% 2-row with 20% maltodextrin could give the bugs something to eat, and in a non sour beer it would hopefully have a nice bready quality similar to Pilsner.

Rahr 2row has a bit more grainy flavor to me than other 2 row base malts and briess has a domestic pilsner malt that is cheaper than european pilsner malt. I used the briess pilsner in a helles that came out pretty good. https://www.morebeer.com/products/briess-pilsen.html

Adding a few pounds of vienna along with 2row if you want to add a bit of malt sweetness without adding too much color.

I was getting judges identifying DMS in my light lagers when using weyermans pilsner malt even with a 90min vigorous boil. I have now switched to belgian pilsner malts for my light lagers and dont get that complaint any more.

Thats really interesting. Thanks. Someone at work suggested 2-row with flaked maize.
I think I'm gonna try a couple SMASH style pale ales with rice and then corn. I guess I'll probably need to buy some Pilsner in order to compare recipes side by side.
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Back