Pilsner Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tel72

Reaction score
ok im doing my first brew i bought a muntons pilsner just bought it didnt really do any research before hand like a dummy i followed instructions only i cut it back to 5 gallons instead of 6 so i could use my carboy first mistake i didnt leave enough headspace in carboy so i rigged up a overflow tube before it reached my airlock everything looks good its been going about 48hrs and im getting 10-12 bubbles a minute out of overflow after its already going i decided to do some research i find out pilsner supposed to be fermenting colder than the instructions said around 50 instead of 70 were im at
my question is should im move it to spare refregerator i have would keep it around 40 would this hurt it is it already ruined any help would be greatly apprieciated just may have to chalk this one up as lesson learned lol

thanks Toby

It depends on what yeast you used. Pilsners should be fermented with a lager yeast and at cooler temps but a lot of kits come with ale yeast instead. If you can tell us what yeast you used, we can tell you the temperature it works best at.

Depends on the yeast. Each yeast will have differing temps. Lager yeasts like a pilsner yeast (i.e. WLP800) need to ferment at about 50 to 55 any warmer and they can produce off flavors. I am assuming this is a kit and the yeast was supplied with the kit if that is the case and the yeast package does say what it is then one can only guess at what it is.

yes it came with the kit and was in a plain foil pack guess ill let it go and hope its ok and do little more planning next time how long should i leave it in fermentor iv read 1-2 weeks up to 4 weeks sugestions thanks again

Back