Pilsner Über Cloudy...what happened?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dudon

Reaction score
I can take a guess, but I'll ask anyway:

This is my first attempt at a Pilsner (or any lager for that matter). It's an extract kit, consisting of half liquid / half dried extract, along with about a pound of specialty grains.

I "may" have had my primary temps a bit warm (upper 50's, low 60's). When it hit the secondary, the temps settled down into the 40's (possibly still too warm?).

I used no clarifying agents, so that may be part of my problem. I simply used my ale technique of carefully siphoning above the sediment line.

I guess I was a bit surprised, since my ales in the past have been so much clearer.

As for the flavor - It has spicy notes up front, a slight bitter finish (about the calculated 38 IBUs worth), and zero hop aroma (I may dry hop with a bit of Saaz next time). It tastes great...but just isn't great to look at when you're expecting the crystal clear liquid that a Pilsner technically should be.

20140521_170609.jpg

Ahh-hah! That makes a lot of sense...I'm wondering if I have a bit of permanent haze that formed during the long-cold secondary lager, as it doesn't clear up a whole lot in the glass...although it "appears" to be slightly more clear in a room temp bottle (I just can't let myself pour a warm glass of Pilsner).

It struck my odd, because I've made beer before with an "unfiltered" look, but that beer had a particle cloudiness, whereas this Pilsner looks cloudy all the way through, with no particulate visible...it almost looks murky.

But, it tastes great, so I really shouldn't be complaining. I guess I just want to try to fix it next time, although the worst case scenario of ending up with this beer again wouldn't be so bad ;)

Yup....visual defect only. As long as it tastes good.......

Also frankly I've had success running mine thru my bright filter. I don't worry about it unless, I'm serving to people who are primarily BMC drinkers, used to drinking crystal bright beer.:mug:

I wonder how long you lagered it and at what temp?
The lagering process, as long as you were below 45 should have taken care of any chillhaze.
Second Q- did you reyeast at bottling/kegging time? Perhaps that's suspended yeast.
Third Q- if you refrig a bottle or a pour for 24 hours, will it clear up?
I'm glad it tastes good. Just pour it into ceramic mugs!;)

Jim, Thanks for the reply...to answer your questions:

1) My lagering process...it was too warm all around. I did a primary at 60°F for 1 week, placed in secondary, let it sit at about 45°F for about 6 weeks. I regret not doing the primary at the cooler temp as well...for what ever reason, I had it in my head that the 45° basement wouldn't get the yeast going.

2) I didn't hit it with additional yeast...it almost looks like I did though. It's an odd cloudyness...so fine that I can't make out any particles. Just "murky".

3) I let one bottle stay in the fridge for 48 hrs...no go. Still cloudy.

Knowing that it's not going to hurt me, I really don't mind looking at it at all. If anyone that comes by refuses to drink it because of appearance, it's their loss :p

Thanks again guys!

I brew my pm hybrid lagers with grains,DME & hops normally associated with them. But ferment with WL 029 kolsh yeast with an ideal temp range of 65-69F. It gives the flavor balance & crispness on the back that lagers & pilsners normally do. That said,they usually look like this in the glass...

This my Hopped & Confused,version 2. This is about as clear as I ever got it. The earlier ones looked like this;

I also used well modified grains that are normally used for them as well. but it wasn't chill haze in the usual sense,as it wouldn't clear much if at all. I'm thinking now that it's starch haze. Might have to do a 90 minute mash to get them converted better? I'm thinking that's what would give a clearer beer. Unless it's linked somehow to part of the conditioning process? It must be some combination of the two anyway. I just can't quite clear up that last little bit of haze. Maybe half a whirlfloc tablet for the 5 gallon batch would do it instead?

My pils looks very similar to that. I could have very well messed up the mash temp of the specialty grains that I used, although I think I just had the primary too warm, and the secondary not quite cool enough.

Like I said before though...it's not a big deal at this moment, since it tastes so good ;)

Looks like a yummy beer non the less. Like the rest said, chill haze. Like you said as well, some clarifying agents would have made that baby sparkle! Still looks delish.

Back