Pils & Love: Portland, ME (hosted by Oxbow) 7/15

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dragged my feet on this and just saw tickets are still available...might need to make this happen...

I don't know you, but, considering the fantastic group of people that are planning to attend, the gorgeous venue, the fact that pilsner seems to be antithetical to the preferences of shitlords, and the fact that its a pretty damned affordable ticket, I would be remiss if I didn't pressure you by saying...

7bBZ3vg.gif

MOjHgoA.gif

AoYjv_f-maxage-0.gif

giphy.gif

Not sure who's going to be in town Friday, but I can def host something that evening. The building address is 341 Cumberland Ave Portland ME for reference. It's walking distance from all the downtown places/hotels

I'm definitely down to come by at some point

The Striper have been on fire down near the NH/ME/MA border. Have to check the tides, but would get a small charter for day trip if anyone wanted to Friday or Sunday.

ugh... wish I had time... so much to do and only Friday and Saturday to do it, including 5 hours at Pils & Love

Looks like Novare is having events for some of the attending breweries.

7/13- LIC Beer Project party
7/14- Burial Beer bash
7/15- Kent Falls

It's worth keeping an eye on taplists for:
Kings Head
Slab
Thirsty Pig
Oxbow tasting room(you have to go to see what's really on)
Bramhall(can have a surprise tap or two)
Great Lost Bear(turdhole place)
Mash Tun

During the last Bissell fest there were a good amount of taps on from the non Maine breweries all weekend. Bier Cellar is having Burial(only time) and Hoof Hearted drop on wed for any early birds.

Can't wait to swill!

anyone here planning on fishing at the event? I'm tempted to order a telescopic rod/reel setup

So we've got Highroller, O' Oysters, and (according to a comment made by Oxbow on Facebook) two other food vendors. Hopefully for axeman9182's sake one will have some burgers or something, and then you have to assume the other is something vegetarian.

I also saw somebody say they heard pours will in fact be 16oz, but that isn't confirmed anywhere. Pints sound good in theory, but if there's going to be 40+ breweries pouring, I think I'd rather maybe stick with 6-8oz.

Then, once I've got my ticks in, I can work toward emptying whatever keg(s) dsuarez brings with him, and fall asleep on the jetty.

So we've got Highroller, O' Oysters, and (according to a comment made by Oxbow on Facebook) two other food vendors. Hopefully for axeman9182's sake one will have some burgers or something, and then you have to assume the other is something vegetarian.

I also saw somebody say they heard pours will in fact be 16oz, but that isn't confirmed anywhere. Pints sound good in theory, but if there's going to be 40+ breweries pouring, I think I'd rather maybe stick with 6-8oz.

Then, once I've got my ticks in, I can work toward emptying whatever keg(s) dsuarez brings with him, and fall asleep on the jetty.

I counted 17 breweries that I need to drink from... 17 pints in 5 hours?

tumblr_mmst60zClN1rhhrvto1_500.gif

but I'd be happy with 8 to 12 oz's

I'm just wondering how things are going to go with pours in terms of payment. Is the 45 just your ticket in, does it get you a few pours and then the rest are cash, or is every beer included with the ticket?

Edit: Nevermind, found a comment on one of their facebook posts that says the ticket covers the entirety of sampling. I'd guess the 16oz pour thing is unlikely in that case.

I'm just wondering how things are going to go with pours in terms of payment. Is the 45 just your ticket in, does it get you a few pours and then the rest are cash, or is every beer included with the ticket?

from what I've read, it includes beer but not food...

A Message from Oxbow Brewing Company:

We are stoked to host Pils & Love this weekend and wanted to reach out to let you know how to get there, what to bring and what to expect. There is ample parking at the venue for those of you traveling by car with a designated driver (we have access to the SMCC student parking), but we encourage you to get there by using public transportation (Uber), a bike, your legs (have someone drop you off in walking distance) or even a boat (you can get dropped off on the beach right at the event).

You should plan to bring a blanket and/or beach chair, sunscreen, a swimsuit and towel, fishing gear and most importantly your thirst and curiosity. Your ticket enables you to sample the most diverse selection of pilsner the beer drinking world has ever had the chance to sample in one place - some of which have never been poured in the US!

It is a spectacular location and there will be delicious picnic fare for sale - food options include lobster rolls, oysters and meat & cheese. There will be plenty of drinking water stations and portapotties and a tent in case the weather doesn't cooperate (pack a rain jacket just in case).

See you on Saturday!

This is probably a long shot, but does anyone need a hotel room for Friday? Priceline ****ed me and double booked, won't cancel the duplicate. Don't want it to go to waste

Confident I made the right choice in attending after reading that they're encouraging us to bring blankets/ beach chairs.

Knowing I won't be able to try all of what's pouring, I'm hoping for some recs on non-US breweries to prioritize! Hoping to meet some of you there!

A Message from Oxbow Brewing Company:

We are stoked to host Pils & Love this weekend and wanted to reach out to let you know how to get there, what to bring and what to expect. There is ample parking at the venue for those of you traveling by car with a designated driver (we have access to the SMCC student parking), but we encourage you to get there by using public transportation (Uber), a bike, your legs (have someone drop you off in walking distance) or even a boat (you can get dropped off on the beach right at the event).

You should plan to bring a blanket and/or beach chair, sunscreen, a swimsuit and towel, fishing gear and most importantly your thirst and curiosity. Your ticket enables you to sample the most diverse selection of pilsner the beer drinking world has ever had the chance to sample in one place - some of which have never been poured in the US!

It is a spectacular location and there will be delicious picnic fare for sale - food options include lobster rolls, oysters and meat & cheese. There will be plenty of drinking water stations and portapotties and a tent in case the weather doesn't cooperate (pack a rain jacket just in case).

See you on Saturday!

Hey Os, where did you quote this from? I follow Oxbow on FB and didn't see anything there...

Coming in tomorrow and hope to meet up with y'all at the fest. Might hit Bissel earlier in the day.

Have only been drinking hazy ******** on my drive up so it will be nice to have some clarity...

Yesterday was pretty awesome- spent some quality time deep in the pristine bowels of the Allagash operation, had lots of lobster and oysters, saw lots of friends and made some new ones at Novare Res, and naturally finished the night by rolling down the hill for some tots and drunk people watching at 2am.

Today, though, might just be even better.

Hard to imagine a more perfect beer fest. Location was excellent, crowd was friendly, no waiting for beer, etc. As a beer fan who doesn't partake in bottle shares, it's not often I get to try lots of beers of the same style side-by-side. It was a lot of fun to try ~20 different Pilsners & to identify the things I really like about the style. Favorites were as follows:

Suarez - Paletine Pils
Live Oak - Gold
LIC - The Genesis
Pivovar Kout na Sumave - Koutska dvanactka 12
Birrifico Italiano - Tipopils

Back