Pils dosed Czech vacation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quaker

Beer Missionary
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My family visited the Czech Republic from Christmas until after New Years to reunite with old friend and neighbors from when we lived there in 2000-2003. Thought I'd share some beer related pics and comments which I put in a gallery here. No tasting notes, it was all going down too fast and too often with friends to bother. [first time trying to link photos, hopefully it works]

The selection at the grocery store was as I remembered it. No way to explore them all. Note that $1 = about 20 Koruna now.
6177-grocery-store-selection-all-about-50-cents-per-1-2-liter-bottle

Made 2 different shopping trips, each time picking up a variety.
6178-first-round-purchases

Just like elsewhere, brands are trying to stretch their name to widen the market. Staropramen had been my favorite before, but they even caught the bug. The unfiltered one was awesome.
6180-i-said-they-probably-expanded-too-far-lemon-flavored-pilsner-homeland-ahh-travesty-one-left-store-shelves

6181-staropramen-my-favorite-when-i-lived-there-since-then-they-expanded-their-range-probably-too-much-however-unfiltered-version-excellent-had-some-wheat-there-but-didnt-spent-time-dissecting

I couldn't resist trying this porter, but I also didn't hesitate to pour it down the drain and move on.
6182-czech-porter-failure-horrible-sweet-thin-shame-i-think-just-before-i-poured-rest-glass-bottle-glass-down-drain-too-much-good-beer-waste-time-more

And the fact that you could get a case of flip-top bottles for 50 cents a piece, with good beer was enough to make any homebrewer grin... until he realizes he has no room in his luggage.
6179-oh-how-i-wish-i-had-room-luggage-even-bring-back-empties-50-cent-piece-flip-top-bottles-filled-quite-bitter-pilsner-loved-but-wasnt-real-appropriate-chaser-all-shots-slivovice-were-also-going-down

Slivovice (plum brandy) nearly always accompanied the beer. 10 years ago I had gone with my friend and his father in law to the local DIY distillery which nearly every village seems to have. I didn't have a camera with me on that visit, so I made sure to go again. That was treat, much more appreciated the second time around. The little old lady running the place pulled out some bottles from the back room to treat the foreigner to.

All in all a real treat. The friends were the best part, the beer simply an added bonus.

Back