PID trouble: TD4 SNR temperature drifting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtipsy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I'm stuck on a problem with my TD4 SNR PID and could use some help.

The temperature reading on the PID is dropping over time.

For example, I put the PT-100 RTD probe in a glass of water and turn the control panel on ... it reads 70.5f ... after 10 mins it's 69.4f ... after 30 mins 68f ... and so on.

If I cut the power, it will slowly return to roughly the initial reading. However, this return is not instant and might take 30 minutes or so.

Has anyone experienced this? It may well be that this is a faulty device. Or may well be that I'm doing something stupid.

Some things I've tried while troubleshooting:
- Swapping the probe. I've tried 2 PT-100s and a K-type thermocouple with the same effect.
- Testing the temperature of the control panel interior (has no effect).

I too had the same issue. See my review on amazon. The MYPIN drifted about 1 degree an hour. This is horribly unacceptable on a long brew day. This makes it unusable for a Homebrew application. Perhaps if you are melting lead, then it won't matter. I spent and wasted a lot of time and money troubleshooting the issue. I replaced all my thermocouples with PLT100's, then replaced those, also replaced wiring and ran numerous tests to check temperature stability. I added fans to vent and cool the MYPIN and ran more exhaustive careful tests to measure the calibration drift. Nothing worked until I replaced the MYPIN with an Inkbird. No more problems! Temperatures remain stable (no drift in reading) over 12 hours of continuous use in varying ambient temperatures - cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon. I was able to close the door on my electric brew panel with no fans, and no problems at all. Conclusion: MYPIN is a piece of junk with unacceptable internal design flaws that will cause you to ruin your mash and cost your more time and money than you paid for the product. Accept your mistake in choice of purchase, throw them in the trash, and get a reliable brand for the same cost. I had to replace 3 units in my control panel. Worth every penny to eliminate the drift issue. I probably wasted over $200 because I purchased 3 MYPIN PID's.

I too had the same issue. See my review on amazon. The MYPIN drifted about 1 degree an hour. This is horribly unacceptable on a long brew day. This makes it unusable for a Homebrew application. Perhaps if you are melting lead, then it won't matter. I spent and wasted a lot of time and money troubleshooting the issue. I replaced all my thermocouples with PLT100's, then replaced those, also replaced wiring and ran numerous tests to check temperature stability. I added fans to vent and cool the MYPIN and ran more exhaustive careful tests to measure the calibration drift. Nothing worked until I replaced the MYPIN with an Inkbird. No more problems! Temperatures remain stable (no drift in reading) over 12 hours of continuous use in varying ambient temperatures - cool in the morning, hot in the afternoon. I was able to close the door on my electric brew panel with no fans, and no problems at all. Conclusion: MYPIN is a piece of junk with unacceptable internal design flaws that will cause you to ruin your mash and cost your more time and money than you paid for the product. Accept your mistake in choice of purchase, throw them in the trash, and get a reliable brand for the same cost. I had to replace 3 units in my control panel. Worth every penny to eliminate the drift issue. I probably wasted over $200 because I purchased 3 MYPIN PID's.
How exactly does 1 degree over an hour make them unusable for brewing? What are you doing with these? Also why do you need percise temp readout for your boil kettle (or hlt for that matter since you will usually get more than 1 degree variation by just transferring from one kettle to another?
The PID shouldn't drift we get it. But this statement is pretty exaggerated ... One degree over the course of a mash period does not make the difference you apparently think it does.. You do realize most brew at home with a burner and cooler to hold temps right?
Also curious to know what liable brand you found for the same cost because for $32-37 choices are limited.

I also find it a bit suspicious that you both joined just to post negative information of a product and then post nothing else?

Back