PID malfunction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mytmic

Reaction score
So I just wired my Mypin PID and its on and seems to be working, however the output is only putting out 51 volts. Input is 110V the input side of the SSR is getting the 51v and the output side is getting 0v. Do I have a broken pid or ssr or am I doing something wrong?

YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING VERY WRONG.

You do not want to use this controller to power anything but a ssr or solid state relay and that will allow a better current from a power supply that can deliver the correct voltage AND amperage. I have tried to respond to your earlier questions but you have not gotten back to me. I think it is a really good idea we talk about how you need to power the heater or better yet what heater are you using? How are you powering it? Via the controller only??? That will not work as it can only push milli-amps.

How do you have this wired?

You need wire the PID SSR outputs ( + and -) to the corresponding control inputs on the SSR. Then you send one hot wire to position 1 of the SSR. On the output side of the SSR you send the load wire to your heater. The neutral wire (or other leg of the of the line in if you are using 220v) goes straight to the heater.

The SSR is just an electronic switch that takes a low voltage signal from the PID and switches the 120V wire on the out put side on and off.

You need an amp meter. You are measuring voltage which will not help as it looks to me like you have all your components hooked up. This is like having a pneumatic (air under pressure) system where by using an air ratchet some pressure is lost by doing work, ie making the ratchet spin. Measuring before a leak as big as a heater will cause some back-up pressure or voltage, but much will be used by the heat element.

A inductive meter is available at your local home improvement center... Lowes or Home Depot. If you can not access these then buy it online which is always cheaper anyway.

quaz, check out the other thread I have, this has been solved, the other problem not so much.
Thanks
michael

I am guessing this other link is the one I just responded to regarding the mypin and how to connect wires to the SSR? If so I have done so.

Latest posts

Back