Pictures of your Hop Babies/Hop Photo Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine. I put 'em in last year and of course they didn't do too well. This year they're going great. Hope to get them growing up the dead tree on the front lawn.

DSC00004.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Hope those are all the same variety dray, cuz it looks like it'll be hard to sort 'em out come August.

If you need help, let me know:mug:

I have a bunch of little black dots on one leaf of my sterling plant. The plant is a first year about four feet up the twine. It is only on one leaf. Can I stop this? Also, can I send two bines up the same string or will they grow slower?

Is it possible to grow them in or on the balcony of an apartment without too many people noticing? I'd really love to get in on this!

Here's mine. I put 'em in last year and of course they didn't do too well. This year they're going great. Hope to get them growing up the dead tree on the front lawn.

I would highly recommend that you make a mulch bed around the hops. That grass (while beautiful) will suck a lot of the nutrients and water from the small area you have for the hops. If you made a 3-4' circle or box around the hops they would probably grow much faster/larger due to having less competition for nutrients and water. Looks great btw.

Is it possible to grow them in or on the balcony of an apartment without too many people noticing? I'd really love to get in on this!

Since it looks like ivy right up until the point it produces buds I would say most definitely. Have it snake up a wall or column on your balcony, or through the bars (if you have them) of the fence and nobody will know what is up. I would not recommend this IF you happen to partake in the close family member as that would gain you unwanted attention. :fro:

Close family member? I was wondering because homebrewing is still illegal in utah. I guess I could maybe grow them at my moms. Do they require alot of tending?

I meant if you happen to use things not considered legal IN the home, it's probably not the best idea to grow something OUTSIDE that looks just like it to the untrained eye.

Hops are doing pretty nice. I planted a total of 44 rhizomes. Some I have had to replace with new ones. All of the big ones are Jumbos.

So I finally got around to taking some shots of my 3 different hop growing areas. I have very limited space for growing and so you'll see some unique placement and support (metal pipe with tee pee sisal rope). The main one has 3 cascade hops, while the front light post and out back are nugget.

Cascade hops (bine at top has reached the top of my support, ~9', all others are only 3-4')
newhop2.jpg

nugget hop between properties (yes my neighbors hate me but its my property...), you can see the cascade pole in the distance slightly to the right
newhop5.jpg

nugget hop at front light post (what use is it if not to support hops!) :)
newhop6.jpg

mmm... none of that here. I think I'll hold off until I have a home. Or at least an inconspicuous place to hide them.

Im gonna try this post pict again!! (I suck at this, I just dont know how to resize them w/ my system)
here is the hop yard. I need to pull the cables tight tomorrow and finish the twine. I ended up planting 56 and out of all of those only 5 didn't come up. Not bad
Cheers
JJ

Cascades here...I got lazy when it came to getting the support up.

DSCN3219.jpg

About three weeks after that...the two shorter bines in the foreground are almost all side arms that have just been working their way up after they lost their main growth. Two weeks later, the tallest bine peaks well above the roofline and the top of the support, just searching around for something else to latch onto. I swear that thing grew four plus feet in that time but I can't recall for sure.

DSCN3337.jpg

Updates from Leland, NC:

Here's a shot of the Nugget on the front porch. This is the one I planted in Miracle Grow Potting soil. It's plugging along real nice length wise, and the color's a nice deep dark green, but there's evidence of either a bug problem, or maybe inconsistent watering. I don't know, but there's browning around the edges of the lower leaves, and what looks like chewed out holed in some of the higher ones...
IMG_0553.JPG

That plant is starting to flower, I hope, near the top and working its way down.
IMG_0555.JPG

The one I planted in the backyard is not nearly as long, and the leaves are smaller and lighter green than the one on the front porch. This one has only been watered on the schedule of my lawn sprinklers, which is about every other day. I did no soil prep or addition, I simply dug a hole and popped the rhizome in there. While smaller and lighter colored, the leaves actually don't have the bug holes, and I haven't seen any browning on the lower leaves.
IMG_0556.JPG

Im gonna try this post pict again!! (I suck at this, I just dont know how to resize them w/ my system)
here is the hop yard. I need to pull the cables tight tomorrow and finish the twine. I ended up planting 56 and out of all of those only 5 didn't come up. Not bad
Cheers
JJ

Holy **** dude! That's a lot of hops you got there...nice work! Oh, BTW try out Picasa...it's a photo organizing/editing program that I use to resize my photos. If you sign up for a Picasa web account, it is super easy to upload to a web album and you can resize the picture at the same time you upload. Check it out, I think you'll like it:

http://picasa.google.com/
My picasa acount

Updates...

I'm letting all the runt rhizome first year Cascades grow wherever they'll climb..
hops08midjune1.jpg

up and over the woodpile..
hops08midjune2.jpg

Cascade, Chinook, Fuggle, Centenial
hops08midjune3.jpg

The Chinook is nearing 22' and is forming cones already..YEAH!!!!
hops08midjune5.jpg

Bobby that is some incredible growth for being in Michigan! I'm shocked they are that tall even being second years with your much cooler weather. I don't mind seeing these Fl/Ga people with their huge bines, but your's just makes me depressed! :)

rbd5om.jpg

Kent Golding , 6-7-2008

I noticed the leaves are yellowing near the end, whats the main cause of yellowing?

rbd5om.jpg

Kent Golding , 6-7-2008

I noticed the leaves are yellowing near the end, whats the main cause of yellowing?

Depends on HOW the leaf is yellowing. If the veins are green and the rest yellow that is probably iron deficiency (chlorosis).

Depends on HOW the leaf is yellowing. If the veins are green and the rest yellow that is probably iron deficiency (chlorosis).

I think thats what it is, I will take a closer look when I get home. I zoomed in on that picture, from here atleast is seems to be overall yellow doesn't it?

2i9jsco.jpg

I think thats what it is, I will take a closer look when I get home. I zoomed in on that picture, from here atleast is seems to be overall yellow doesn't it?

2i9jsco.jpg

Only you can tell us. From that picture on this end it looks a bit like the veins are more green but it is too far away and not completely in focus. Just put your face right up to the leaf and see if the veins are dark green. If they are it's possible chlorosis. I seem to remember that a generally overall yellowing of the leaf was nitrogen? But I'd have to look at some tables...

EDIT: Yup the overall loss of color can be due to nitrogen deficiency which would make a lot of sense with hops. Due to their extremely fast growth and (1st year) poor root system, they can very quickly sap the nutrients around them. Since nitrogen is a nutrient required in such large amounts, it would make sense that it would be one to watch out for. Here's the link, scroll down to the picture of nitrogen (please note these are EXTREME deficiency levels, at earlier stages the leaf will still be green-ish). And whatever you do don't go crazy with the fertilizer because then you'll go to the other end of the spectrum and burn the plant.

http://4e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=t&id=289

Thank you very much Enigma! I book marked the page. Since you are right and it seems I have an Iron problem can you just add "iron" to your garden? I have not seen it by itself, unless some fertilizers contain iron and extra of the other nutrients wont hurt it. I am a new gardener and still learning so forgive me! :cross:

Thank you very much Enigma! I book marked the page. Since you are right and it seems I have an Iron problem can you just add "iron" to your garden? I have not seen it by itself, unless some fertilizers contain iron and extra of the other nutrients wont hurt it. I am a new gardener and still learning so forgive me! :cross:

try fish emulsion if you can find it - a good, safe, overall fertilizer. but be real subtle with fertilization, no matter what. don't shock it with anything you use, moderation is the key.

yellow leaves can also be a sign of over-watering.

I need to update my pics today. My tallest bine is about a foot, and the other sprouts are filling out real nice. I also need to change out my ropes as the bines do not like to climb vinyle coated clothesline all that well. I should have known better.

My plants look very similar to yours Taipans. I also have some leaves that are yellowish with green veins, so maybe a combination of Nitrogen and Iron.
I've read that Iron chelate is the way to go for iron deficiencies, though I wonder if Blood Meal would supply enough iron. I know Fish Emulsion is a safe source for Nitrogen, but I think it usually comes in at 5-1-1. I'm thinking Blood Meal because I want to add Nitrogen without adding any more Phosphorous or Potassium.

Chris

You should be fine for just getting the plants established but don't expect much of a yield. For first year, I've heard not to expect much more than a handful per plant. But next year you'll be set!

ha. Is it too late?

I would tend to say it is never too late to start growing hops. You could probably start in September, obviously realizing you are establishing the roots and should not expect a cone, let alone a harvest. If you start today I think you have a 50/50 chance of getting some hops, but this late in the game I would make sure you have the best soil you can get. You need to stack everything in your favor because you don't have time. Peat moss, mulch, compost, LOTS of light, etc. and you can probably have good growth.

Let us know how it goes if you try it, it's an interesting experiment.

I would tend to say it is never too late to start growing hops. You could probably start in September, obviously realizing you are establishing the roots and should not expect a cone, let alone a harvest. If you start today I think you have a 50/50 chance of getting some hops, but this late in the game I would make sure you have the best soil you can get. You need to stack everything in your favor because you don't have time. Peat moss, mulch, compost, LOTS of light, etc. and you can probably have good growth.

Let us know how it goes if you try it, it's an interesting experiment.

I was 8/10 but now i am 5/10 as i lost 3 due to heat. It is 95+ everyday with no rain. I water every day and once just isnt enough. Mine are planted in a raise garden bed with spagnum moss, vermiculite, compost and topsoil so i should have plenty of moisture holding ability.

If it is that hot outside where you are, it might be too late.

GilaMinumBeer,

Saw that dirt and said "This has got to be Oklahoma!" And it is. Man! Reminds me of home! I'm originally from Stillwater.

3 weeks in the ground and they finally broke through. Redoing the tresil this weekend - from top to bottom: Willamette, Nugget, Centennial, Liberty.

HPIM1737_small.jpg

HPIM1738_small.jpg

HPIM1739_small.jpg

HPIM1740_small.jpg

I was 8/10 but now i am 5/10 as i lost 3 due to heat. It is 95+ everyday with no rain. I water every day and once just isnt enough. Mine are planted in a raise garden bed with spagnum moss, vermiculite, compost and topsoil so i should have plenty of moisture holding ability.

If it is that hot outside where you are, it might be too late.

Can you post a pic of your setup? Get a 55 gallon rubbermaid container (trash can) and pop a couple tiny holes in the bottom (I mean TINY). Fill it with water and that should give you a trickle similar to a soaker hose. Are you sure you aren't overwatering? Peat moss has an incredible ability to retain water and so it's possible the surface and even 2" down is dry but the root zone has adequate moisture. Once the hops are growing well for a month or so the roots should be pretty nice and so I don't know if watering every day is the best thing to do.

I'm currently on an every other day watering schedule, and will shortly be switching to every 3 days. I'd rather slightly underwater than overwater, same goes for fertilizing. I actually made up a dilute solution of CSM+B since I was seeing some iron/trace deficiency! :)

Latest posts

Back