Picture of aged hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Checked on last year's Hallertau after picking this years. I keep them in the basement next to my dehumidifier. Can I ask how they look even though the lighting stinks?

PXL_20210820_171724001.jpg

They look normal to me. I don’t think you can smell them too much as is. Try squeezing and rolling one between your fingers while smelling it. A lot more potent then.

Yep, I think I read that aroma and alpha acid deteriorate pretty quickly at room temperature. My Hallertau doesn't produce much, so I figure that I'll just age what I get until I get more than 12oz for a year. 5oz wet might be enough for a small batch of light lager, but I'd like more.

Besides, it's easy to buy good Hallertau pellets, but I don't have a good source of aged hops.

There is a factor to figure in when using fresh hops to account for the wet vs dry.

Last Summer I had plenty of Columbus hops. So much that I brewed a wonderful Columbus Pale Ale. It is a great beer. Finishing up my last 5 gallons.

This Summer, actually this Spring, we had warm temps, hops were up. Then freezing temps for weeks and hops died back down to the ground. I cut off the dead bines. Then warm. I have hops this year, but nowhere near enough for a repeat of the Columbus Pale Ale.

Back