Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People keep mentioning using champagne yeast to finish stalled beers, but from what I read elsewhere, that doesn't work. Though they have high alcohol tolerance, they only eat simple sugars (those found in grapes, for instance), so they won't do anything for the stuff a brewer's yeast won't eat. They can be used to re-yeast at bottling, though, if you prime with table/corn sugar.

Does anyone want a free keezer and fermentation box, in the Jenkintown area? I'm upgrading to something a little more energy efficient.

The keezer is based on an old commercial freezer, so it has casters and a flat bottom. It's higher off the ground which makes it easier to get kegs in and out. It can also keep things at 38 degrees using the built-in thermostat.

The fermentation box connects to the keezer via flexiduct (the 4-inch stuff for dryer vents). A thermostat in the fermentation box turns on fans in the keezer to bring cold air over.

Included: freezer, collar (already drilled for 3 shanks), plywood lid, several fans, power supply for fans, fermentation box, thermostat for the fermentation box, and the original glass top for the freezer.

Not included: flexiduct, shanks, faucets, drip tray, lines, co2 or regulator.

This is not a turn-key keezer; it's ugly and needs to be cleaned. You'll also need to provide faucets, lines, co2, etc. But the price is right if you have time for a project. The freezer would make a great fermentation chamber in its own right if you add a temperature controller.

Delivery may be possible. PM me if interested.

Bottled Fonthill Saison today. I am very excited to try this one out in a few weeks. I also ordered a Chimay Blue clone from Austin Homebrew. It's my wife and my neighbor's favorite beer. Neighbor said she's pay for the kit if I brewed it. My thought is I ask for 1/2 the cost and she supplies the bottles.

I wanted to get input on bottling v kegging. Despite this only being my 3rd time bottling I am not a fan. I'd much rather eliminate most of the bottles and just keg it. I have a beer fridge that I'd like to put a 2-3 tap system into. Thoughts and input?

gone_fishing said:
I wanted to get input on bottling v kegging.

I like to keg IPAs/APAs or anything else I like to drink fresh. Kegging is much easier and faster and I like having beer on tap. However, beers that I don't drink as quickly or beers I want to stick around longer, I bottle.

A chimay blue I would bottle bc that style improves with age. I tend to use larger format bottles to make bottling go quicker also.

I like to keg IPAs/APAs or anything else I like to drink fresh. Kegging is much easier and faster and I like having beer on tap. However, beers that I don't drink as quickly or beers I want to stick around longer, I bottle.

A chimay blue I would bottle bc that style improves with age. I tend to use larger format bottles to make bottling go quicker also.

I am pretty much the same way. I have a three tap system in my house, and as such brew lower ABV beers to put on tap, with the occasional DIPA. Big beers seem to stick on a tap FOREVER. And since I like variety, I'd rather put the big beers in bottles. Yeah, bottling sucks, but you never really get away from it. Just cut way back depending on what you're brewing!

abarnett said:
Does anyone want a free keezer and fermentation box, in the Jenkintown area? I'm upgrading to something a little more energy efficient.

The keezer is based on an old commercial freezer, so it has casters and a flat bottom. It's higher off the ground which makes it easier to get kegs in and out. It can also keep things at 38 degrees using the built-in thermostat.

The fermentation box connects to the keezer via flexiduct (the 4-inch stuff for dryer vents). A thermostat in the fermentation box turns on fans in the keezer to bring cold air over.

Included: freezer, collar (already drilled for 3 shanks), plywood lid, several fans, power supply for fans, fermentation box, thermostat for the fermentation box, and the original glass top for the freezer.

This is not a turn-key keezer; it's ugly and needs to be cleaned. You'll also need to provide faucets, lines, co2, etc. But the price is right if you have time for a project. The freezer would make a great fermentation chamber in its own right if you add a temperature controller.

Could you post some pics?

I wanted to get input on bottling v kegging. Despite this only being my 3rd time bottling I am not a fan. I'd much rather eliminate most of the bottles and just keg it. I have a beer fridge that I'd like to put a 2-3 tap system into. Thoughts and input?

Kegging is amazing. I have 4 regular taps, 1 nitro line, and will be adding a beer engine in October for cask style ales. That being said, bottling is still nice from time to time. I brew almost exclusively 10g batches so I'll keg 5 and bottle 5. I almost never use 120z bottles though. I really like the 500ml euro bottles and often use standard 220z bombers. If you're going to continue bottling get a Fast Rack and Vinator (sulfinator). Both are fantastic products for home bottling...

Ok, input on best beer bars in the area.

My votes:

Bucks Co: Jamison Pour House (Jamison), Moms (Doylestown), Tony's (Ivyland)
NE Philly: Grey Lodge
Philly: Memphis, Monks
Delco: Despite being from there originally I have no idea.

gone_fishing said:
Ok, input on best beer bars in the area.

My votes:

Bucks Co: Jamison Pour House (Jamison), Moms (Doylestown), Tony's (Ivyland)
NE Philly: Grey Lodge
Philly: Memphis, Monks
Delco: Despite being from there originally I have no idea.

Montco: Capone's

I'm also originally from delco and can't think of one. I don't think they exist there.

On the Philly list add...

Frankford Hall (german styles)
Bainbridge Barrel House (really rare stuff consistently)
Interstate Draft House (great atmosphere, food, and local heavy draft list)
The Abbaye (so you like Belgians but hate the crowd at Monks...)
Growlers (great draft list and almost everything on the menu has bacon in it)
Kraftwerk (extensive tap list)

I'll second Memphis Taproom as my favorite place to watch the Phillies in their beer garden on the huge screen. I spend a bit of time in the city. Mostly Fishtown, No Libs, Kensington areas.

I live 5 minutes from Capones. I go there every friday on the way to work to pickup a few bottles. Get on their email list! If you're looking for something rare, Matt sends out an email with what's coming and you can reserve anything you want via email off the list. Just call and ask for Matt. He's always there...

Beer garden at Memphis? Hmm, I need to go back down there. Wifey and I went there after getting set up for homebrew at Philly Homebrew. (Sorry Gitmoe). A few years ago I dropped my son (only at the time) off at daycare. Took the train into the city and was on the steps at Monks at 9am. At 11am I was first in the door for Pliny the Younger. Interviewed on NBC10 before hand and after tasting it. Honestly, I wouldn't rate it in my top 10 for IPAs. I think Elder is better.

Wobrien, where in Delco? I am from Lansdowne/Upper Darby (1 block from Bonner)

abarnett said:

Pics in my gallery;
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/albums/brew-gear-7893.html

Beer spilled in the bottom will clean off the sheet metal no problem.

I'm out for the keezer. It won't fit where I need it to go. I might need to get a tall freezer and not a chest freezer for a germ chamber. Bummer. Free is a good deal...

Southern Montco? Union Jacks in Glenside has a good rotation and good selection in the bottle list. "back in the day" my favorite place was Ludwigs. Not quite Monk's selection, but pretty close, with no lines. I like Kite and Key alot in the Fairmount area. I know not the extensive selection that alot of these other have, but always a solid lineup (10 or so beers).

Beer Shoppe in Ardmore is pricey for takeout but cheap if you are going to drink them there. They have awesome hot dogs and brats that they bring in from Chicago

Beer Shoppe in Ardmore is pricey for takeout but cheap if you are going to drink them there. They have awesome hot dogs and brats that they bring in from Chicago

I'm down that way once a week now and have been stopping in there. Not a bad shop. Prices aren't awful. I rarely buy 12oz bottles or cans which is most of their selection. Their 22oz/750ml selection isn't spectacular but ample.

GLUB Club meeting tonight in Chestnut Hill at Campbell's Place 7:30pm. All are welcome!

When do you usually go? I usually stop by for a few beers once a week but haven't ever seen any Keystone guys there.

What does a Keystone guy look like? lol...

I'm usually down there first thing in the morning. Last few times I stopped in it was right around 10am when they open.

What does a Keystone guy look like? lol...

I'm usually down there first thing in the morning. Last few times I stopped in it was right around 10am when they open.

Haha, Well after 5 years of going there I recognize most of the faces.
Yea I'm usually there from 8-10pm, then off to Tired Hands to close the night out.

Bottling my Simcoe IPA today. Bottles in the dishwasher. Right around my birthday I ought to have good Saison and IPA to enjoy.

Formulating a brown ale recipe and then off to keystone for the grain. Later this weekend I"ll be making a "kitchen sink IPA". Have a metric ton of 1-2 year old hops in the freezer that may/may not have been treated well. Also going to give that new dry yeast they have up there a shot.

Also kegging up our house pale and a Belgian IPA today.

Formulating a brown ale recipe and then off to keystone for the grain. Later this weekend I"ll be making a "kitchen sink IPA". Have a metric ton of 1-2 year old hops in the freezer that may/may not have been treated well. Also going to give that new dry yeast they have up there a shot.

Also kegging up our house pale and a Belgian IPA today.

Mangrove Jack FTW.... We're really liking all the strains we've used so far. I'm gonna do a batch of Wegman's cider with the Mangrove Cider yeast soon. I'm starting to really be a dry yeast fan and now that we carry more and more strains it's easier to use.

I used the mangrove m-20, German wheat yeast. It is better than wb-06, but no 3056. Just wish someone would make a true Bavarian hefe dry yeast

SWMBO has come into a $100 Iron Hill gift card. We'll be heading to Chestnut hill some time soon. Are there any must-have brews?

For Iron Hill I would avoid their normal brews and try their special beers. I had a couple of IPAs a few weeks ago and a Kolsh that I really enjoyed.

tennesseean_87 said:
SWMBO has come into a $100 Iron Hill gift card. We'll be heading to Chestnut hill some time soon. Are there any must-have brews?

They prob don't have it in tap this time of year, but if they have bottles, their RIS is great

Paul is an awesome brewer, and we really really like the Chestnut Hill location. you can't go wrong with any of his seasonals...

Not sure if it was mentioned but Strangelove's is pretty good in between walnut and locust on 11th street. Relatively new place but a pretty good selection and 2 rotating cask beers. Also a very relaxed atmosphere especially upstairs.

Im selling a really nice cooler mash tun and a huge stainless fermentation vessel. Check the classifieds...

Happy holiday! I spent the morning flipping kegs on my bar system at home to be ready for crazy rowdy party tonight.

Also, I brewed a 1.072 OG DIPA last monday and this morning Mangrove Jack West Coast had taken it down to 1.006 in 5 days. I was blown away. I've never gotten attenuation like that out of 1056 or US-05. The beer is super clean. Crazy hop profile. I used 12oz of hops in the boil and I'm gonna use another 4oz cascade to dry hop in the keg for an even 1lb of hops in the 5 gallon batch. I've found that's the magic number for a big IPA.

Happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back