Phenols in my brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ticebain

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm wondering if anyone can help me diagnose what's going on. The last couple batches I have made have had the same issue. Some of the bottles beers taste king of mediciney, or a little like rubbing alcohol. I would say it is definitely an off flavor and I think it's phenols based on what I have read, but it is not undrinkable. I have brewed 2 types (alt, rye pale ale) with differnt yeast. Both have been over the singing so I am fairly confident that high fermentation temps are not an issue. I carb with corn sugar. I lagered the alt for a bit. The rye was bottled after normal primary and secondary ferms.
And to top it off, I made a California common lager I between and it's completely fantastic

I don't know enough about how and when those off flavors are formed to pinpoint that could be doing this.
Any help on what it could be would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not sure why this posted twice. Sorry

What were the wort temperatures during the first three days of fermentation?
What yeasts were used?
What was your water source?

What does over the singing refer to?

Wow.
Over the singing= over the winter. Possible candidate for personal best 'damn you auto correct' there

Yeast was alt yeast for the alt. And s05 for the rye

Water was day old tap (please don't ask for ph. I don't know but I've used it on at least a dozen batches) for the rye and RO from the grocery store dispenser for the alt

Ferm temp was low to mid 50s for alt and low to mid 60s for rye

Note:
I have heard that ferms on the low end of 05s tolerance can lead to a peachy flavor and I have tasted that in other brews I have made and have now switched to wlp001 for that reason. But not this rye. It is something else

So I am confused as to why I'm getting the same flavor since nearly nothing was the same, but the off flavor is the same

Wow.
Over the singing= over the winter. Possible candidate for personal best 'damn you auto correct' there

Yeast was alt yeast for the alt. And s05 for the rye

Water was day old tap (please don't ask for ph. I don't know but I've used it on at least a dozen batches) for the rye and RO from the grocery store dispenser for the alt

Ferm temp was low to mid 50s for alt and low to mid 60s for rye

Note:
I have heard that ferms on the low end of 05s tolerance can lead to a peachy flavor and I have tasted that in other brews I have made and have now switched to wlp001 for that reason. But not this rye. It is something else

So I am confused as to why I'm getting the same flavor since nearly nothing was the same, but the off flavor is the same

The off flavor in one beer, using the day old tap water, I would say you have varying levels of chloramine in the water. Different water sources and same off flavor shoots that theory.

WLP036 Alt yeast will produce sulphur at low temperatures and that is a distinctive off flavor.

SA-05s' peachy flavor is also very distinctive.

I have no answer.

Back