pH of flaked grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
I am just starting to investigate water chemistry. I don't have a pH meter, and while it's on my list, it will be awhile before one ends up in my brewery. So I'm using the spreadsheets just to check that I'm in the ballpark.

I was wondering if anyone had any data on the DI pH of flaked grains. My next brew will be an Irish Red with a rather high proportion of flaked corn and flaked barley. I haven't been able to find any info on how these should be entered into, say EZ Water. I did a forum search and all I could find was -TH- saying he "read somewhere" that they are about the same as malted grains. I couldn't find anything more definitive (or even anything else as tentative as that...)

My guesstimate would be that these grains may be a bit higher, since they aren't kilned. But in truth, I dunno.

Any guidance here?

My guesstimate would be that these grains may be a bit higher, since they aren't kilned. But in truth, I dunno.

I think your reasoning is sound but I have no idea. I have never measured a flaked grain. As malted grains can be all over the map I would expect the same to be true of the flaked grains.

Any guidance here?

No, afraid not. I'm not a big exponent of pH prediction by formula* because of the variability among grains even of the same type from the same maltster and because it is not sufficient to know the pH - one must also know the buffering capacity between any pair of pH's you might anticipate operating them between. IOW you need the titration curve.

* I am pretty good at predicting mash pH for beers I have brewed several times just by relying on my experience. But even so I occasionally get a surprise because of the variability cited above.

I'm giving this thread a bump to see if anyone else has thoughts on this. I did a CAP this weekend with 2lbs of flaked corn/maize and wasn't sure how to handle the water treatment calculations. I use EZ Water, which doesn't have a data input for adjuncts (and I haven't checked Bru'n Water).

I treat flaked grains as base malts with predictable results. That treatment has worked for me in both calculators I use: Bru'n Water and Brewer's Friend. That even holds true when using up to 40% flaked grains in a recipe.

Back