PH meter questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
i am about to buy a PH meter but i don't know much at all. could someone please give me a quick run down of how it works and proper care? i read you need one that has replaceable probes and i keep seeing PH solution for sale do i need this?

Hanna is about the cheapest and will give you a few years of service. Make sure you get some Solution for calibrating when you order it. IF I am not mistaken 7.1 is = to storage solution, so you can get both ends of the spectrum for calibration and your storage solution for the instruments probe. Buying one of those Yellow cheap ones are Crap!
I like the waterproof ones for about 80.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanna-Inst...f-PH-Temperature-Meter-HI-98127-/113773272292
but you can get the red one non water proof for around 40.00,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hanna-Inst...Meter-HI98103-Free-U-S-Shipping-/392311897167

you'd be surprised how you think you can keep it dry, but end up getting it pretty wet.

Purchased the Beverage Dr. and it's been great so far. Paid around 50$
Yes you need the storing solution and the calibration solution.

▲▲ I'd try this one ▲▲ I've burned through a couple of the Yellow cheapo's, a couple of the Red Hanna's (being rough) and the fact that you can replace the tip for 17.00 is really cool and the calibration and the storage cap. I am going to get one. Thanks Jag75

I may be an anomaly, but I've had good luck with my generic $12 yellow ph meter from amazon. I've been using it for about a year. I was calibrating it before every brew day, and every time I would stick it in the buffer solution it was pretty much dead on. So now I calibrate every 3-4 brew days, mix up the dry packets in distilled water. So far it's never been more than 0.02 off, but I go ahead and run it through the calibration process anyway just for peace of mind. I also read that you have to store the probe in storage solution or the probe will dry out. I never have, and it hasn't. I just rinse, gently dry, put the cap back on and put it back in the plastic case it came in until I need it again.

Back