Pfeffernusse (Peppernut) ale for winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MennoBrewer

Reaction score
I am looking forward to the beers I want to brew over the next several months and one thing in particular that I am interested in is making an ale that tastes something like pfeffernusse, a traditional German/Mennonite cookie usually flavored with cinnamon, cloves, and anise, although some people I know substitute cardamom for anise.

My question is what style of beer would accent or blend well with cinnamon, cloves, possibly nutmeg, and anise or cardamom (the only example of a pfeffernusse beer I have found online is an amber saison)? Also, what hops would go well with these spices? At what stage would you add each of the spices (I do extract brewing with specialty grains, still)?

Thank you so much!

I've been toying with a similar beer for Christmas, only based on the NM biscochito, which is a lard-based cookie with anise seed and cinnamon. I was thinking of going saison with it, because I think a spicier, drier yeast character would probably go well with the "spiced cookie" theme. A more neutral American yeast might work pretty well, too.

I haven't really thought too hard about the hops much yet, but I'm thinking mostly spicy, earthy, noble-ish hops. Maybe something with a lemon note for some more character. Nothing too crazy - just enough to keep the spices from being overpowering.

There are many styles that would seem to work well, it depends on what you want out out of it. A saison is a nice choice, though I don't know if the yeast esters would compete or complement the spices. Maybe a saison base with English Ale yeast or possibly an amber ale base.

Im assuming a low IBU so you could use whatever you want for bittering, Then something herbal and spicy like Sterling or Saaz for flavor/aroma.

For spices, I'd add in the last 10 minutes of the boil and/or in secondary to taste. How much is up to you. Just remember you can always add more, but can't take it out.

Let us know when you make it. It sounds like a great idea and I'd be interested to hear how it turns out.

Last edited:
Ok, I finally got around to making the Pfeffernusse ale and it was ready today. It was absolutely fantastic! I don't think I could have asked for a better turnout. I used a Fat Tire clone for the base, took out the flavor and aroma hops, and added anise, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and nutmeg. Thanks for the advice! I'll post the recipe here.

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: WLP001
Batch Size: 5 gallons
OG: 1.055
FG: 1.013
IBU: 23?
Primary Fermentation: 3 weeks at 68 F
Secondary Fermentation: N/A

2.6# Light LME
4.5# Pilsen LME late addition
.5# Carapils
.5# Crystal 20
.5 # Light Munich Malt
6 oz. Biscuit Malt
1 oz. Chocolate Malt
2 oz. UK Fuggle hops 4.5 AA 60 min.
6g star anise, 2 large cinnamon sticks (crushed), 7 whole cloves, 5g cardamom, 1 nutmeg (crushed).
1 pkg. White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast

Back