PEX for low pressure gas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke_l

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used PEX (residential water pipe) for a gas manifold? Found lots of threads regarding using it for brewing equipment, but I am trying to put a kegerator together and get creative. Water shutoffs are like $3, and the T's and stuff are super cheap. I would think that it would all take 10-15 PSI no problem, but is the stuff airtight?

would work just fine. The stuff is rated well above 15 psi. It wont leak if crimped correctly.

In all honesty, using PEX for a gas line/manifold is probably not the way to go. While the typical pressure in residential, natural gas lines is only around 8 psi, the majority of city and state plumbing codes mandate the use of black, steel pipe or flexible stainless steel lines. Although this is mainly for kink/puncture resistance, fittings and valves that are air vs. water tight are two completely different animals, and I would very weary about using that type of crimped fitting. As far as the valves, themselves, go, some ball valves are rated for both gas and water, but my suspicion is that valves designed for use with PEX are solely rated for water. Just my two cents.

I don't think I would personally do this, but I think it would work. I helped my dad build the house that my parents live in, all plumbing is pex, and the entire system had to be pressurized well above 15 psi (with air) and left for >24 hrs with no drop in pressure as part of the inspection process. don't cheap out on the crimp rings (we attempted to at first and some leaked and had to be replaced). the cost of the better rings and crimping tool may make this project pointless though, uness you already have them/have access.

why not just use beer line? it will work just fine for 15 PSI.

The only drawback I see is if you ever wanted to do a quick, high pressure force carb, you would not be able to because of the psi constraints.

I used pex for the air lines in my shop. Keep it under about 140 most of the time. Stuff is rated for about 160psi. Its been installed for over 4 years and never had a failure. I used the crimp rings.

I'll second what Speedway says. Plumbed a shop for air with pex, 150 PSI. Been that way for a couple of years now with *no* issues.

just my two cents..never used PEX, haven't made a gas manifold. Id wouldn't worry about an air leak but a gas leak could be a whole different issue. Hopefully you would never have a leak but if so the result could be disastrous Thinking thats why code calls for pipe. Crimping a connection for a vapor would bother me. Just my two cents.

I say go for it, it's only CO2 and it is pressure rated above what most people will use it for in a kegerator. Test it out and post your results, you might be on to something.

Just so I'm sure I'm reading this right:

You *are* talking about making a CO2 manifold with pex, right? After the regulator?

Latest posts

Back