PEX for brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzie1701

Reaction score
Has anyone used PEX for hot wort recirc? Any concerns with it? Its used in the homes hot water system so should be safe just wondering about off flavors?

Its safe at 80 psi for 200*F

That being said. Pex fittings are a bit expensive it would technically be cheaper to go with Silicon hoses for recirculation.

If you are thinking about creating a recirc arm that has a straight flow up and over into the MT, I think thats a cool idea... That being said, I'd rather go with Copper in that place instead, or go full-monty and do a SS piece that can be dissembled and cleaned.

Honest reason to do it is I am a general contractor and we have tons of fittings and pipe left over from plumbers on a lot of our sites. Works out to be cheaper. Also like the look of ridged attached lines to my brew stand vs hoses. Mostly just because I have about 100' of it laying around that will just go in the garbage though.

Wasn't there something about pex degradation from UV exposure? It's meant to go in walls, away from light. It's also designed to carry water, not acidic wort. I wouldn't bother. Sale it all on Craigslist and buy some silicon or stainless tubing. My .02

There was a thread on here about a guy making PEX counterflow chiller and the PEX to you being just started falling apart

Back