Pet Insurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to get some for our female boxer, she likes to chew on clay pots and hard plastic, like the plastic in solar lights. I've done some searching and 40 bucks a months seems steep. Any recommendations?

We've had insurance from VPI (veterinary pet insurance) for our labradoodle since he was a pup. It's about $45/month but my dog has Addisons disease and needs a daily pill and monthly shot, so we just about break even. They seem to be pretty good...maybe your rate will be lower.

Good luck

Read the insurance policy very carefully. We found that almost all of the veterinary problems that we are likely to run into are excluded from coverage, such as anything dealing with reproduction. Also check coverage if you go to different vet clinics or for emergency care.

I signed up for PetPlan about a month ago. Too early to tell if its worth it or not but the pricing is about the same. I'm paying $43/mo with a $200 deductible and 80% reimbursement. I looked at higher coverage and different companies but it was all too expensive. My friends have TruPanion and rave about it but it was just too expensive for me. They wanted $75/mo for coverage, but it was much better coverage than what I have in PetPlan.

My dog (5yr old Lab) is rough and reckless when out in the woods and I worry about his knees/ligaments so I got the high deductible as an emergency only type plan. It wouldn't be worth it for the typical everyday vet visits.

Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums - not paying claims so which do you think they do willingly and which with reluctance?

Open a savings account and put $45 a month into it. If your pet gets sick use that money. If it doesn't then you have that money. With insurance the money is gone whether your pet gets sick or not.

Thinking back to last summer if I had been putting aside $45 each month for each dog only 7 months' deposits would have covered the porcupine incident.

I got PetPlan for my dog when he was a puppy. The rates seem to be based on age and breed.

I haven't had to use the insurance, but I'd read about so many Labs needing 4k knee surgeries, and knew I had no way to come up with that kind of money at the time. I figure that I waste $40 a month on silly stuff anyway.

Insurance companies make money by collecting premiums - not paying claims so which do you think they do willingly and which with reluctance?

Open a savings account and put $45 a month into it. If your pet gets sick use that money. If it doesn't then you have that money. With insurance the money is gone whether your pet gets sick or not.

Thinking back to last summer if I had been putting aside $45 each month for each dog only 7 months' deposits would have covered the porcupine incident.

The best part this strategy is that the savings account is not going to tell you the money can't be used for that particular incident. Your money, your control. This is definitely the wisest use of money in the long run.

Latest posts

Back