Perry Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fossey

Reaction score
Gonna share my perry recipe because I just cracked one on Good Friday and was stoked to find that it reminded me of a Weston's Perry... just what I had hoped... Now to make a much larger batch...

Note that it was summer in Australia so my uncontrolled brew temp was ridiculously high - like mid 70's F, hence fast fermentation...

Here's my brew notes…

1 Dec 2012 - 1715 hrs
1 Gallon Batch

200g dark brown sugar
1 kg of Pear halves mashed in
own juice
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Topped up with canned Pear
juice (4.5 x 850mL cans used)
5g pectinol
EC-1118 yeast rehydrated

OG - 1065

7 Dec 2012
Stopped bubbling. Racked off fruit and lees.

SG - 1010

Topped up with 850mL can pear juice, 5 g pectinol, 7g malic acid,
1/2 tsp vanilla essence, 1 cup apple juice (apple juice used as no more pear on hand).

15 Dec 2012
Stopped bubbling again, left to age.

11 Feb 2013
Cold crashed

16 Feb 2013
1010 after crash
Backsweeten / prime 3/4 cup pear juice conc.
1024 after backsweeten / prime.

29 March 2013
First taste of final product, PASS!!!

Looks nice, Fossey. I've always wanted to make a perry, but can't find an economical solution for pears or juice. Did you bottle this gallon or just pop it in the fridge to drink still? If bottling, are you stove top pasteurizing them?

Pickled_Pepper said:
Looks nice, Fossey. I've always wanted to make a perry, but can't find an economical solution for pears or juice. Did you bottle this gallon or just pop it in the fridge to drink still? If bottling, are you stove top pasteurizing them?

It was a bit pricey, the cans were $2.85 ea, that's why I only brewed a one gallon tester. The juice was unfiltered and completely cloudy. I'll probably buy a couple of cans a week and stock up for a winter brew and hopefully a slower fermentation.

I bottled this and pasteurised in my dishwasher, it's only lightly sparkling. Final product has the light haze of a scrumpy.

Latest posts

Back