Perplexed. S-04, rehydrated and viable, yet no fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_man

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I confess, I am perplexed. I brewed a milk Stout on Monday. Rehydrated two packs of S-04 at temp shown by Fermentis/Safale on their site. Water was boiled then cooled to rehydration temp. Both were well within expiration date by years. I saw vibrate foam and cream build up. Pitched yeast into wort at 65.4 F with temp control to 68. And a low temp heat setting at 63, where heat would keep from going too low in basement. I allow it to rise to 68F as is my usual experience. It was Aerated with oxygen through a freshly boiled airstone. Temp is up to 68F, yet no activity, no krausen. This yeast is usually a monster, quick to start, fast and vigorous in fermentation and drops like a rock when done. I am perplexed. I will probably re-pitch tomorrow if nothing happens overnight ..

Saf-04 was the house strain at the first brewery I worked at. It is very much an oddity not to get any krausen.

Back