Perplexed by a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatnhappy

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about 18 years. Keg 80% of my beer. Recently a friend won a new 3 gallon corny keg and gave it to me. I've used it twice. Both times it was a split batch. 5 gallons in one and 3 in the new keg. Both cleaned and sanitized the same way. PBW then starsan. Filled twice with 10 pounds then purged. Put a tube from my fermenter spigot to the liquid out on the keg to transfer. It looked great going in. Mop water out. Never a problem with the 5 gallon. Top pic is the 5 gallon keg. Bottom is 3 gallon keg.

20170802_173614_1503260878168.jpg

Oxidation for sure.

I can't believe it has anything to do with the keg per se - unless they leak they're basically big or even bigger bottles.
But I wonder if the way the two kegs were purged and filled was different...

Cheers!

I cleaned and purged as I always do. PBW wash and soak for 30 minutes. Starsan for about 15 min. then fill to 10lbs and vent via the relief valve two times. Fill by a hose from fermenter valve to the liquid out on the keg

Kegs won't make a difference as long as cleaned properly. However, if this was a new keg it still could be a cleaning issue. What temp is your PBW wash? There can be oils left from the manufacturer. I always clean with a stronger acid than starsan on new kegs and used ones I end up with. Unless you use very hot water (150+ degree) PBW won't clean the oils. The only factor that would affect your beer from this new keg is cleaning. Not saying your process is wrong but there is something extra needed here.

Kegs won't make a difference as long as cleaned properly. However, if this was a new keg it still could be a cleaning issue. What temp is your PBW wash? There can be oils left from the manufacturer. I always clean with a stronger acid than starsan on new kegs and used ones I end up with. Unless you use very hot water (150+ degree) PBW won't clean the oils. The only factor that would affect your beer from this new keg is cleaning. Not saying your process is wrong but there is something extra needed here.

It was a brand new keg. My wash water was as hot as my tap will get. Not really sure. What other cleaner would you recommend? Maybe I'll boil water and use that

Residual oil etc would more likely cause an off flavor than oxidative darkening. I'd be looking for air leaks.

Residual oil etc would more likely cause an off flavor than oxidative darkening. I'd be looking for air leaks.

I agree, but starting with a very clean keg is a first step. I passivate all new stainless components first thing as well, but that's just me.

The keg is still carbonated despite no more CO2 on it, but I ordered a complete rebuild kit for it along with different cleaner. I'm going to take it completely apart, clean the hell out of it and rebuild it. Thanks for all the help

Back