Perlick Faucets... Necessary???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have pulled the perlicks for the time being.

If you want to order the old 425's, I'd suggest calling and asking. But since the 525's are better and listing for the same price, they'd rather have folks wait a month than ship out faucets that are replaced in little time.

Would this take the place of the $90+ stout faucets that I see sold at the stores? I really want a good stout faucet but that is pretty steep. $45 for the 575 would be a great deal if it did the same thing.
I was thinking the same thing but I don't think it is. For one thing you use it as a regular tap by pulling forward so the gas pressure would be similar to regular taps (around 10 PSI), not 30-40 PSI that is usually done with beer gas mix (nitrogen and C02 blend).

This special 575 creamer tap simply seems to be a regular tap that you can also push backwards to cause (probably) some air to get mixed in with the beer to create a foam head.

I don't think you could use it with beer gas though. Someone prove me wrong however as I'd like to try one too.

Kal

I went ahead and called Rapids to get the skinny on the new Perlicks. They are saying the same thing about Perlick not shipping out the 525SS until mid-May at the earliest. I asked bout the 575SS and they did not stock that item but the guy called Perlick to ask about making a direct ship order. He confirmed that there was no minimum and his sale price to me was just under $32 per faucet. That was only $2-$3 more than he quoted me on the 525SS which was backordered so I went ahead and had him ship me 6 of the 575SS. My order came to $206 with shipping. Not too bad for 6 faucets with creamer feature. I can add head to any beer in my keezer now.

I've never had standard faucets -- but my perlicks have NEVER stuck or frozen up on me. Definitely worth the investment to never have to worry about it, IMO.

I went ahead and called Rapids to get the skinny on the new Perlicks. They are saying the same thing about Perlick not shipping out the 525SS until mid-May at the earliest. I asked bout the 575SS and they did not stock that item but the guy called Perlick to ask about making a direct ship order. He confirmed that there was no minimum and his sale price to me was just under $32 per faucet. That was only $2-$3 more than he quoted me on the 525SS which was backordered so I went ahead and had him ship me 6 of the 575SS. My order came to $206 with shipping. Not too bad for 6 faucets with creamer feature. I can add head to any beer in my keezer now.

Same situation (you inspired me Belmont) I looked all over every faucet vendor on the first two pages of google searches and couldnt come up with the 575. I called rapid wholesales and asked, he called be back and about 10 minutes after first picking up the phone I'm having two 575SS faucets drop shipped to VT!! Total came to 72 bucks or something, I'm sure I would have saved a bit more in shipping by buying more, but I only need two!

I'm very excited to get these, I dont have room for a keezer but may be doing something like this soon.

UPDATE:

Saw the site listed them. Called and confirmed my order shipped yesterday. All backorders have been filled

Anyone know how far back the 575SS creamer faucet has to bend to create that "creamer" function?

I currently have 4 of the older Perlick taps wall mounted and would like to replace one with a 575SS creamer faucet but am unsure if there will be room to push it back far enough to actually use it....

Do you have to bend it right over like some creamer faucets or is it just a few degrees?

My setup:

Beer9.jpg

Kal

Logistically, you should be fine installing one into your setup. The push back is only a few degrees. That said, I have 2 575s and 3 525s and my take on the whole creamer thing is it is a waste of time. You can achieve a nearly identical result by just partially opening the tap. Perhaps others can chime in but if it was me, I would skip the new creamer faucet and buy some ingredients / other equipment.

edit: wrong model numbers. oops

Ugh, I could kick myself for not seeing this thread earlier. :mad:

I just ordered 4 fridge kits w/ Perlicks (assuming 425's) from AHB the other day and they already shipped. Too late to cancel. Doh! Maybe I can sell 'em off on craigslist or something and nab some of these 525's of 575's if pricing is still as Belmont notes.

So depressed now ... I think I'll have a beer.

It's only a few degrees on the 575s but you may be cutting it close with those long handles. I'm really not into it but some people just prefer to see more head for presentability. I prefer a straight pour. You also take CO2 out of the beer and flaten it to a degree. I got the 575ss because they didn't have the 525ss in stock. Also, I've already had one get a little sticky on me so if you have the 425s I'd stick with them. No sense in buying the new ones. They look great and work great for the most part but I wouldn't bother if you already have the 425s. At proper pressure I'm pouring a beautiful beer without using the creamer function.

Logistically, you should be fine installing one into your setup. The push back is only a few degrees. That said, I have 2 525s and 3 425s and my take on the whole creamer thing is it is a waste of time. You can achieve a nearly identical result by just partially opening the tap.
That's what I'm been doing now. You're right that it's probably close to the same given that it's still just regular C02 at the same pressure. (The 575SS isn't meant for C02/N2 gas mix at higher pressures).

It's only a few degrees on the 575s but you may be cutting it close with those long handles. I'm really not into it but some people just prefer to see more head for presentability. I prefer a straight pour. You also take CO2 out of the beer and flaten it to a degree. I got the 575ss because they didn't have the 525ss in stock. Also, I've already had one get a little sticky on me so if you have the 425s I'd stick with them. No sense in buying the new ones. They look great and work great for the most part but I wouldn't bother if you already have the 425s. At proper pressure I'm pouring a beautiful beer without using the creamer function.

Thanks for the feedback guys - I think I'll stick with what I have.

Kal

Back