Perlick Faucet Not Holding Pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
I have what I believe is a standard Perlick faucet hooked up to my system.
http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1336/Perlick-Faucet-SS-for/Detail.bok

I previously had a single tap setup, and then upgraded to dual tap.

On the old single tap as well as on both sides of the dual tap setup, I find that if I leave the beer connected to the out line, I run out of gas from a slow leak from the faucet.

Is this normal for this particular faucet, to have to disconnect the beer line in between uses?

Is something wrong that I can easily adjust?

I would take it apart an clean it. Inspect the seals. There are directions online.

I find that if I leave the beer connected to the out line, I run out of gas from a slow leak from the faucet.

run out of gas, or beer? the only way this would be possible is if all the beer leaked out first, and then the gas started leaking.

if you are only loosing gas and not beer, then its not a problem with the faucet, but somewhere else. possibly the o-ring around the liquid-out post (although, that would leak beer and not just gas, too). are you sure there is no leak without the liquid-out line connected?

definately not normal though.

run out of gas, or beer? the only way this would be possible is if all the beer leaked out first, and then the gas started leaking.

Gas.

possibly the o-ring around the liquid-out post (although, that would leak beer and not just gas, too).

Tried it with 3 different kegs, the left side of my tap, the right side of my tap, and the single tap. The only constant was the Perlick faucet. No beer leaked out but the gas certainly did.

are you sure there is no leak without the liquid-out line connected?

If I switch faucets, I can leave the liquid-out connected no problem. If I disconnect the liquid-out, and leave the gas-in on, there is also no issue.

If I leave the liquid-out and the gas-in connected on any keg, and have the Perlick hooked up, my CO2 tank is completely empty / 0 psi in 72 hours.

if you are only loosing gas and not beer, then its not a problem with the faucet, but somewhere else. possibly the o-ring around the liquid-out post (although, that would leak beer and not just gas, too). are you sure there is no leak without the liquid-out line connected?

definately not normal though.

+1

Are you using the same liquid disconect when switching faucets?

It may be possible that there is a leak caused by the disconnect, but as audger said, I would think it would also leak beer.

But my guess would be that the liquid OUT and gas IN are reversed (or the tubes inside the keg are reversed).

Unless the liquid OUT & the gas IN are reversed, there would be no way for the CO2 to make it to the faucet (unless in suspension as carbonation in the beer).

I am sure you understand the concept, but inside the keg, the liquid tube extends below the top level of the beer. The CO2 from the IN side sits above the level of the beer. Essentially the CO2 pushes on top of the beer forcing the beer from the bottom of the keg up the liquid tube, through the hose, and out the faucet. For the CO2 to escape, there could not be any beer being pushed.

Now if the connections a backwards, the CO2 would essentially flow through the beer and into the headspace above the beer in the keg. It could then possibly escape out of the hose/faucet as there would be no beer being pushed by the gas.

If everything is hooked up correctly, I would try removing the faucet & shank, hooking everything up, and dunking the faucet in a bucket of water. If it is leaking, you will see the bubbles.

i dont really know what to suggest, then. really there is no gas going to the faucet itself; only beer. the gas pushes the beer out, so if anything was leaking at the faucet, it would really have to be leaking beer. the only single way for gas to come out of the faucet would be if the keg were empty, or maybe if the gas/liquid connections were reversed somehow like kurtb suggested.

the only places on a keg that could leak gas without beer coming out are: around the lid, the pressure lease valve, from a bad seal under the gas or liquid posts (where they screw onto the keg, small o-ring on the dip tubes), or from a bad seal between the gas line and the gas ball lock, or from some connection closer to the CO2 tank. all other places would leak beer.

Back