Perfect fan for stir plate build - with potentiometer - $5 shipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this tool box at harbour freight for $3.99.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

1395499628351.jpg

1395499638860.jpg

1395499648154.jpg

Just got one if these had to go through Amazon since newegg doesn't ship to Canada or freight forwarders. I think I have the wiring figured out but I have two questions. Does the control knob on the speed control come off to mount it through the box? How is everyone mounting the speed control? I am planning on using a cigar box and was thinking about cutting a hole for the speed knob and gluing the metal plate to the back side of the wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just got one if these had to go through Amazon since newegg doesn't ship to Canada or freight forwarders. I think I have the wiring figured out but I have two questions. Does the control knob on the speed control come off to mount it through the box? How is everyone mounting the speed control? I am planning on using a cigar box and was thinking about cutting a hole for the speed knob and gluing the metal plate to the back side of the wood.

Yep just pull gently and it'll pull off. The problem is the part it attaches to isn't very long, do if you're planning on sandwiching the cigar box between the bracket and the knob, it might not be long enough. I used a radioshack project box for mine and made the hole just slightly bigger than the diameter of the knob. Then I epoxied the bracket to the inside of the project box.

I used a cigar box from Jo-Ann's ($3 with coupon). Yes its a manly store!

13/32" or thereabouts drill bit and I am able to grasp the knob through the box. I twisted back the 90 degree arm and just taped it with 3M stuff.

What power supply are people using for their plates?

I tried a 9 volt battery charger supply I had, it worked great, but after only a few minutes of use the brick got almost too hot to touch. I installed an old cell phone charger that my roommate had that was only 5.5 volts and it worked OK but couldn't create the vortex all the way to the stir bar even with the potentiometer all the way up. I don't want to keep chopping up random power supplies with this. What are the minimum requirements for the power supply output?

I'm using a 15v laptop supply haven't run it long term yet but hasn't seemed to be a problem.

What power supply are people using for their plates?

I tried a 9 volt battery charger supply I had, it worked great, but after only a few minutes of use the brick got almost too hot to touch.

Sounds like it may have been drawing too many amps for the charger. I'm using a 12v power supply from my junk drawer and it's working great. I can't remember the amperage but I can check when I get home tonight.

Back