Peracetic acid and copper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stz

Reaction score
Hello HBT.
I use peracetic acid at work and it never causes problems with any copper it happens to inadvertently touch (chiller lines, cold water plumbing etc). I usually use povidone iodine at home for my home brewing.

Today I thought hey, why treat the ol' home brew setup to a little peracetic (which is all 304 or 316 stainless). During my boil I perform the usual CIP on my plate chiller, leaving it running through the boil. My process is once the boil is finished I connect up the transfer hoses while they are still full of sanitiser and start the transfer, running to drain until wort appears then switch to my fermentation vessels. This is handy because it stays sanitised until needed and the pump remains primed.

During my CIP/recirculation I notice that the peracetic solution rapidly turned blue. I'm guessing copper acetate? Plate chiller must contain copper plates or copper brazing? I dumped the solution, flushed it with water and set it going with my usual providone iodine solution and will continue the blue/brew day without sweating it too much.

But my question is, waa? Surely this can't be good for the plate chiller, the beer and my health? I'm going to assume yeast metabolises the copper during fermentation, so I'm not really concerned about that, but what I'm thinking is should I ever use peracetic to sanitise my plate chiller again? I can't believe it attacked it so quickly. I thought dilute acids were ok to 'pickle' brass and as such ok to use around copper to some extent. I thought that providone iodine was a mixture of phosphoric acid and iodine and to my mind, phosphoric acid is far more hardcore than peracetic acid.

18871562_10158858113185436_607653299_n.jpg

18835050_10158858113200436_1896613432_n.jpg

The plate and frame heat exchangers are brazed with copper. I got a blue tinge in the PBW on my last clean-up and was a bit puzzled by it. I hadn't considered that PBW might dissolve the copper. How damaging this is to the heat exchanger is difficult to say. I certainly don't want to consume the cleaner and always rinse out the PBW. Is the peracetic acid considered a no-rinse sanitizer?

Peracetic acid happens to be the same stuff as used to de-lead brass. While it removes lead from the brass, it will also dissolve copper when in contact too long. The heated solution probably sped the reaction.

Yes it is considered no rinse at the correct concentration which is (robot answer) 400ml in 20L. Which is what? 2%? I think it is considered effective and no rinse at 0.5-1.5% so I guess we make it up a little strong thinking about it. I'm sure the concentrate is only 5% v/v as well. It kicks butt as a no rinse sanitiser, but there aren't many advantages to using it over anything else except it breaks down to oxygen and acetic acid where as 10 home brews a day sanitised with iodine is going to give me a rocking goitre.

I would definitely never do that again :eek:
I also don't understand why people actually "sanitize" their plate chillers.
That's what boiling wort is for...

Cheers!

I would definitely never do that again :eek:
I also don't understand why people actually "sanitize" their plate chillers.
That's what boiling wort is for...

Cheers!

I sanitize the heat exchanger to avoid the need to recirculate the wort and therefore not need a pump.

I sanitize the heat exchanger to avoid the need to recirculate the wort and therefore not need a pump.

You are probably overthinking the solution. Just gravity flow hot wort through your chiller, and catch it in a container. Then dump it back in your BK. I interrupt the flow periodically while keeping the chiller full of hot wort so the total volume is minimal.

I have noticed a blue tint to PBW solution after circulating it through a copper CFC coil and other brewery plumbing.

Latest posts

Back