Pennsylvanian wannabe brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iancanderson

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been interested (i.e. drinking) microbrews for a while now, and I've more recently gotten interested in doing some home brewing, beginning with the simple 5 gallon extract method.

I'm currently reading Palmer's "How to Brew," and there's some great stuff in there. I'm hoping that between the book and this forum I'll learn all that I need for my first batch or two.

Apparently ales are the easiest styles to brew? Lucky for me - I'm kind of a hop-head.

As far as equipment goes, I'm considering the one of the Midwest kits - less than $100 shipped for a two-stage kit including a better bottle. Seems like a great deal to me!
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewing-starter-kit-w-better-bottle.html
Does anyone have any experience with this specific kit? Are there other kits that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

Welcome :mug:
No experience with the Better Bottle, but I got most of my beginning equipment from Midwest.
All good stuff, I just get most of my stuff now from Northern since they opened the Milwaukee store, which is only 45 minutes from my house, no more shipping charges. :)

All good stuff, I just get most of my stuff now from Northern since they opened the Milwaukee store, which is only 45 minutes from my house, no more shipping charges. :)

Lucky! I'm pretty sure the closest homebrewing store to me is about an hour away, and it doesn't seem to be a popular one, so I'd worry about ingredients not being as fresh as a more busy store might carry.

Only thing I heard about better bottles is that sometimes the fact that it's flexible means problems if you are trying to filter or whatnot... still, the reduced weight (compared to glass) is probably a huge backsaver. :)

Lucky! I'm pretty sure the closest homebrewing store to me is about an hour away, and it doesn't seem to be a popular one, so I'd worry about ingredients not being as fresh as a more busy store might carry.

South Hills Brewing Supply: http://www.southhillsbrewing.com/ has a new location in Monroeville. This is still a bit of a ride, but their service and inventory is great. I have been one of their customers for several years now and have never gotten a bad product or support from anyone there.

Check them out for a LHBS you can trust.

Salute! :mug:

I also recommend SHBS. I go to the Noblestown Road store when I'm visiting the 'Burgh. They know their stuff and the prices are AOK. Get on their mailing list, and they will send you fliers that entitle you to 10% off purchases at certain times. I live in the sticks, and wish I had a good home brew store like theirs nearby.

As far as the Better Bottle goes, I recommend it. I broke a full six-gallon glass carboy and I'll never buy glass carboys again. Others will disagree, but I'm sold on the Better Bottle. Check out their website if you have any questions.

Good luck!

If I had to do it over again, I would get the complete home brewery from Williams brewing, you can't beat the price and you get a wort chiller. I spent way more money than this piecing my beginner kit together from various LHBS, only to scrap all of it and build a Brutus 20 system. It is an addiction, welcome to the club!

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPLETE_BREWERY_WITHOUT_A_KIT_P2355C257.cfm

+1 on SHBS. I'm there about once a week on average and I cannot say enough good things.

Also, welcome to HBT and home brewing...the obsession that keeps on giving!

Back