Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pellicle on a persimmon sour and the beginnings of a pellicle on a peach & nectarine Berliner Weisse.

image.jpg

I got my first pellicle...

Here are the specifics. I brewed a kettle sour
50% Pilsner
50% White Wheat
Mashed at 154*F for 60 minutes, sparged with 170*F sparge water and collected 8.5 gallons and boiled for 15 minutes to kill anything that might be in there. With a gravity of 1.032, adjusted the pH with 88% Acid to take it to a pH of 4.0 and pitched 4 GoodBelly StraightShot Probiotic Oat drinks...

Then life got in the way with knee surgery.

4+ weeks later, I remembered about the kettle sour. Sample was at pH of 3.3 and gravity of 1.030. Aroma of light apricots and sweat socks. Taste is very tart and slightly acidic. Aroma above the pellicle is of fresh apricot preserves (wonderful childhood memory of my Mother's kitchen).

I'm thinking of pulling it into a fermenter and pitching some fresh Bootleg Biology Baltifunk (dregs from Baltimore HomeBrewCon Milk the Funk meetup - mix of Brett, Sacc, Lacto and Pedio). Then I will either dry hop or age in my barrel (haven't decided which).

WP_20160714_13_44_37_Pro (2).jpg

WP_20160714_13_44_25_Pro (2).jpg

OK, I've been a lurker on this thread for some time now, thought it was time to post a few pics.

The first is an Old Ale fermenting with Wyeast 9097-PC, about two months in. Looks like nothing so much as Chocolate Crinkle Cookies.

The second one was bottled several months ago - this pic was about 4 months in - of a Flanders Red with Wyeast Roeselare blend. Looks like some kind of fruit cobbler.

j

WY9097pc.jpg

Roeselare-4mo.jpg

These are apparently my 'house brett' - the cleaner-looking is a Wyeast 3068 Dunkel that I'm going to bottle this weekend, developed this pellicle 1-2 weeks ago, unwelcome.

The other three are all of an Old Peculier clone I brewed spring 2015 using WLP500 - after a few weeks it too started developing a pellicle almost identical to the one on the Dunkel. These photos were a couple months later, same shot with three different lightings. One with ambient lighting, one with camera flash (shows that the flash is really NOT the best for many shots like these) and one is with a ridiculously bright flashlight a couple feet from the carboy, my favorite shot.

The O.P. pellicle started out looking pretty much like the top pic, the dunkel, and after a couple months it looked like a plate of marbles dusted with dark DME. Tasted delightful, one 750ml bottle left, inspired me to rebrew the recipe with the 9097-PC, in my previous post. (which will surely end up tasting wildly different but doubtless good)

Flavor from this 'infection' is not overt, at least not within a few months. Musty, very faintly fruity perhaps, but that could have just been the WLP500 still being noticeable.

Just had to chill the last bottle of the OP, will probably drink it this weekend. :mug:

j

House-DW.jpg

House-OP-Crop-Flood.JPG

House-OP-Crop-Flash.JPG

House-OP-Crop-Spot.JPG

Wow! What do you have working in there?

WY3191 - Berliner Weisse Blend (sacc, lacto and Brett mix). Pitched a 1L stepped starter to primary and let it ride for 2 months. There wasn't much sour character when I pulled a gravity sample a month ago, so I'm hoping the monstrous pellicle is indicative of better things to come.

Sour table beer with house sour culture, local wild yeast isolate, and Wyeast lambic blend (if I recall correctly) from bottle dregs. This was split into two vessels with centennial hops and plums/second-use raspberries last weekend.
20160806_222257[1].jpg

Sauerkraut gose, after about 8-10 weeks on 3 lbs of raspberries. Sauerkraut brine, wild local yeast, Orval dregs. Yeah, it looks weird at the top right of the pic, but it wasn't fuzzy. I think the contrast is due to competing cultures building pellicle on top of pellicle.

20160806_195810[1].jpg

20160806_195818[1].jpg

Here's mine. Single hop Mosiac IPA BIAB recipe. Had it fermenting in a Mr. Beer fermenter. After I dry hopped got this. I'll see how a few months does

wild ipa.jpg

Sour table beer with house sour culture, local wild yeast isolate, and Wyeast lambic blend (if I recall correctly) from bottle dregs. This was split into two vessels with centennial hops and plums/second-use raspberries last weekend.

Here's the dry hopped portion, after a week in the bucket.
20160815_203325[1].jpg

20160815_203320[1].jpg

My dark mild brewed Saturday, fermenting with wild saison-ish yeast and dregs from last year's plambic rye thing.

Yesterday morning. Sorry for the terrible lighting.
20160822_063510[1].jpg

And yesterday afternoon, when I got home from work.
20160822_180317[1].jpg

Hot damn, I can finally participate in the pellicle thread.

Saison fermented out with WY3711, pulled off one gallon and pitched Jester King dregs (RU55 + Provenance).
8S7ogUc.jpg

EcRhbsd.jpg

Victoria Plum sitting 2 weeks. Using old book and says to strain and add yeast etc after 10 days not sure if I should let it sit till a good covering or start straining etc now
29650580086_bbab1c6b6d_b.jpg

Saison. Pitched 2 packets of belle saison dry yeast which I have never used before and a large scoop from the yeast cake of a flanders red I brewed two months prior. I was fully fermented in 48 hours. It was very vigorous and fast. Its a few weeks later now and I have a nice pellicle forming.

IMG_20160910_083222.jpg

Latest posts

Back