Pellet hops plus Blichman kettle=clogged mess?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many, many whangdoodles. :rockin: While I don't have a Blichmann kettle, I really don't think they'll clog anything. Many people whirlpool to get everything to settle out in the middle, then draw off the side.

Many, many whangdoodles. :rockin: While I don't have a Blichmann kettle, I really don't think they'll clog anything. Many people whirlpool to get everything to settle out in the middle, then draw off the side.

I usually use whole hops in bags and transfer the wort (warts and all) from the kettle to a carboy, allow that to settle an hour while I clean up, then rack semi-clarified wort to a second carboy and start the ferment. I could try to transfer selectively from the kettle by whirlpooling. That ought to reduce the risk of sludging the relatively narrow dip tube attached to the Blichmann outlet. But I'm making an IPA-SMASH with three ounces of hops additions to the kettle. I'm worried about sludge quantity.

Back