pellet hop sludge!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demus

Reaction score
I've been avoiding brewing my favorite style lately, IPA. I cranked one out today and remembered why. 7 ounces of pellet hops rendered my march pump/plate chiller setup useless. Frustrated I went back to the drop in, and had to bug the neighbor to help me pour 6 gallons ingot the fermenter the old fashioned way.

My question: Is there a better way??? I've read many posts on various filtering methods and have experimented with several myself with limited success on my setup. This thought occurred to me: I really don't mind transferring the gunk to my fermenter, I just want to chill it quickly. So why fight it? Has anyone tried a march pump with a counterflow chiller like "chill-zilla" without any filtration at all? I know it won't work with my plate chiller because of all the right angles inside. But I think the hop sludge saturate wort might just flow right through the smooth cooper tubing of a counterflow. What do you think? Anyone out there tried this?

Have you tried a hop bag/spider? I throw my hops in a nylon paint bag during the boil.

If you are not going to reuse the yeast then just let the hops trub out with the yeast.

My system is pretty much purpose built to make IPAs. I use a multi-pronged defense, hop spider+homemade hop stopper+inverted hop rocket with the high flow insert removed packed with bagged leaf hops. Bloody little gets through.

Latest posts

Back