Pellet Grills To Replace Gas Grills?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally ordered my PG500 today. Hopefully it will be in by next Friday. Getting rid of the gas grill and smoker as soon as I get it set up

Finally ordered my PG500 today. Hopefully it will be in by next Friday. Getting rid of the gas grill and smoker as soon as I get it set up

Personally,I would keep the smoker. The pellet grill is NOT a smoker...not sure why people have gotten into the habit of calling it a "smoker".

I have both a pellet grill and a large electric smoker. Both have their uses. For example...when I cure ham and smoke it, it will be in my smoker for about 30 hours. I start at 80* for 8 hours, move up to 100* for some time, then up to 150*, then finally 180* to finish it off. The lowest my pellet pit will go to is 150*.

I hate to see someone get rid of their toys. Even if they only play with them once or twice a year.

Personally,I would keep the smoker. The pellet grill is NOT a smoker...not sure why people have gotten into the habit of calling it a "smoker".

I have both a pellet grill and a large electric smoker. Both have their uses. For example...when I cure ham and smoke it, it will be in my smoker for about 30 hours. I start at 80* for 8 hours, move up to 100* for some time, then up to 150*, then finally 180* to finish it off. The lowest my pellet pit will go to is 150*.

I hate to see someone get rid of their toys. Even if they only play with them once or twice a year.

The pg 500 can cold smoke via the warming drawer and a tray of ice at 70 degrees, the main chamber can go from 180 to 600 and the chargriller can hit 900.

Most pellet grills are actually smokers and do a poor job of actually being a grill. My gas smoker had a low temp of around 200

gwapogorilla said:

The PG500 is a smoker, and a damn good one at that.

I know what you mean about those gas smokers...they really do suck. Even those "little Chief" units leave a lot to be desired. As much as I like my Yoder, it is a grill... NOT a smoker. IMO, creating smoke does not make a unit a smoker. Too many cars on the road that could be classified as "smokers" that way.
A smoker has temp control in fine increments, even a way to control/add moisture. You can even heat WITHOUT the use of smoke, via electric (or gas if you must), they are usually insulated as well. You can control heat, moisture AND the amount of smoke in the unit.

With your PG500(or other pellet grills) without wood(and smoke) you don't anything.

In my smoker, I hang hams, bacon slabs, summer sausages, pepperoni, pastrami. My grill, or yours, won't do that.

I know what you mean about those gas smokers...they really do suck. Even those "little Chief" units leave a lot to be desired. As much as I like my Yoder, it is a grill... NOT a smoker. IMO, creating smoke does not make a unit a smoker. Too many cars on the road that could be classified as "smokers" that way.
A smoker has temp control in fine increments, even a way to control/add moisture. You can even heat WITHOUT the use of smoke, via electric (or gas if you must), they are usually insulated as well. You can control heat, moisture AND the amount of smoke in the unit.

With your PG500(or other pellet grills) without wood(and smoke) you don't anything.

In my smoker, I hang hams, bacon slabs, summer sausages, pepperoni, pastrami. My grill, or yours, won't do that.

The PG500 is a smoker, and a damn good one...

It smokes as well or better than any of the numerous stick-burner pits I've used over the years, blows komado style cookers away and even holds its own against the big daddy pellet smokes like the FE100. Adding moisture is a simple matter of placing a cake pan with water in zone 2, you can also hang hams or whatever in zone 4 if desired. You do realize that these are wood pellets we are talking about don't you?

Ok I'll be sure to tell ever BBQ joint in the south they arent using smokers. FYI when 90% of the world talk about smokers they are talking about something that can hot smoke meat at around 225. Not a cold smoke\curing process. And there have been smoke houses that cold smoke long before electric smokers or even electricity were around.

Im guessing you are a troll and if so you hooked me. Fish on

Hey JeepDiver, go ahead and order one of these if you don't already have one... Once it's lit you can place it in the fire pot chamber and cold smoke all day without even turning the 500 on.

JeepDiver said:
Bumpimg this to see if anyone new might want to join. Think I have decided that my next grill/smoker will be a pellet burner. Really wanting one that cam do both well. Dreaming about a memphis or mak, also looking at fast eddies. Being able to cold smoke would be a nice plus with the FE, but the contollers on the mak and memphis look a little better. Been reading all the reviews on pelletheads but would welcome input from anyone on here with experience with any pellet cooker that you like. One selling point to SWMBO is that I will be able to get one unit to replace my gas grill and smoker

If you want to cold smoke, get the MAK 2 star with the cold smoke chamber. It can do it all.

gwapogorilla said:
Personally,I would keep the smoker. The pellet grill is NOT a smoker...not sure why people have gotten into the habit of calling it a "smoker". I have both a pellet grill and a large electric smoker. Both have their uses. For example...when I cure ham and smoke it, it will be in my smoker for about 30 hours. I start at 80* for 8 hours, move up to 100* for some time, then up to 150*, then finally 180* to finish it off. The lowest my pellet pit will go to is 150*. I hate to see someone get rid of their toys. Even if they only play with them once or twice a year.

You can cold smoke in some pellet grills for sure, but agreed, mostly you are hot smoking, not cold smoking.
Props on the curing! Maybe when I'm retired. So far only done bacon and some hot dogs. Would love to get into dry curing though.

gwapogorilla said:
I know what you mean about those gas smokers...they really do suck. Even those "little Chief" units leave a lot to be desired. As much as I like my Yoder, it is a grill... NOT a smoker. IMO, creating smoke does not make a unit a smoker. Too many cars on the road that could be classified as "smokers" that way. A smoker has temp control in fine increments, even a way to control/add moisture. You can even heat WITHOUT the use of smoke, via electric (or gas if you must), they are usually insulated as well. You can control heat, moisture AND the amount of smoke in the unit. With your PG500(or other pellet grills) without wood(and smoke) you don't anything. In my smoker, I hang hams, bacon slabs, summer sausages, pepperoni, pastrami. My grill, or yours, won't do that.

Maybe I should read the rest of the thread before replying. What smoker are you using? Highly interested...

Ok I'll be sure to tell ever BBQ joint in the south they arent using smokers. FYI when 90% of the world talk about smokers they are talking about something that can hot smoke meat at around 225. Not a cold smoke\curing process. And there have been smoke houses that cold smoke long before electric smokers or even electricity were around.

Im guessing you are a troll and if so you hooked me. Fish on

FYI...a few years back, I used to work in a manufacturing shop that made the smokers for P&S smokers. Link is here http://www.prosmokernroaster.com/index.php?page=Model_350-HL
These are smokers. Not grills. Not BBQ pits. Not smoke houses. Smokers.

I am guessing you are someone that does not own both. Once you do...you will know the difference.

Maybe I should read the rest of the thread before replying. What smoker are you using? Highly interested...

I used to work at a shop that made P&S smokers. My unit is a custom made job, but all of the parts are from P&S smokers. Built it 24 years ago...and it's still going strong. Of course...it only gets used in the cold weather.

I have steered quite a few of my buddies that were wanting to get into the hobby towards the cheap Masterbuilt smokers.
http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.ph...stainless-steel-smokehouse-w-top-control.html
They can be found cheaper than this listed price, and my buddies all seem to be happy with them. Just big enough for a ham, or a turkey, or a few summer sausages.

Question...does the MAK2star leave the fan running when in "cold smoke" mode?

gwapogorilla said:
I used to work at a shop that made P&S smokers. My unit is a custom made job, but all of the parts are from P&S smokers. Built it 24 years ago...and it's still going strong. Of course...it only gets used in the cold weather. I have steered quite a few of my buddies that were wanting to get into the hobby towards the cheap Masterbuilt smokers. http://www.masterbuilt.com/index.php/smokers/30-inch-electric-digital-stainless-steel-smokehouse-w-top-control.html They can be found cheaper than this listed price, and my buddies all seem to be happy with them. Just big enough for a ham, or a turkey, or a few summer sausages. Question...does the MAK2star leave the fan running when in "cold smoke" mode?

Had a Masterbuilt and it was a total POS. I won't get into why unless someone really wants to know.

I don't own the two star, so I can't say for sure, but I do have a MAK, and as far as I know, there is only a smoke mode, which is hot smoke, I think around 180° is what it will report, though the temp may be less in some parts of the grill. The fan is on. If you want to cold smoke on the MAK 2 star, there is a separate add-on box that you put over the warming tray portion. My MAK doesn't have the warming tray. There are some posts about this feature on the big poppa smokers forum. If I want to cold smoke on my MAK, I'd need to use the amazin tube smoker.

I am very interested in one of those smoker that can do all that: cold smoke, heat without smoke, hot smoke, and control humidity, and also cool into the 50's. Goal is that I want to try some charcuterie. Had planned to hack up an old fridge, but I don't have a fridge to tear up, and a dedicated smoker like you've got sounds best. I'll look into those P&S units. I bet they're expensive.

TD

Had a Masterbuilt and it was a total POS. I won't get into why unless someone really wants to know.
Nope...that's okay. I know they aren't built to last. My brother has one, he uses it one a month during the winter months and he seems happy with it.

I don't own the two star, so I can't say for sure, but I do have a MAK, and as far as I know, there is only a smoke mode, which is hot smoke, I think around 180° is what it will report, though the temp may be less in some parts of the grill. The fan is on. If you want to cold smoke on the MAK 2 star, there is a separate add-on box that you put over the warming tray portion. My MAK doesn't have the warming tray. There are some posts about this feature on the big poppa smokers forum. If I want to cold smoke on my MAK, I'd need to use the amazin tube smoker.
I have a smoke daddy I attach to my Yoder...but only to cold smoke cheese. The whole cold smoke thing just doesn't appeal to my palate at all.
I am very interested in one of those smoker that can do all that: cold smoke, heat without smoke, hot smoke, and control humidity, and also cool into the 50's. Goal is that I want to try some charcuterie. Had planned to hack up an old fridge, but I don't have a fridge to tear up, and a dedicated smoker like you've got sounds best. I'll look into those P&S units. I bet they're expensive.
Honestly, I have never heard of a single unit as you have described here...even at P&S. Pellet grills and smokers give out different results. The fan in the pellet grill is constantly exchanging the air, where as the smoker builds up and condenses the smoke giving a deep smudge in flavor and color. Plus, something in line to what I have is in the $2000 range. Pretty expensive...homemade sounds better.
I like your idea of the refrigerator. The temp control they sell at Midwest Supplies would also work on an electric element. I would contact some of the old junk yards in your area for a fridge. Or, an auction service...they deal with old junk all of the time.
When you refer to "Charcuterie", I assume you are referring to the book? I have looked through it a few times, but it "mainly" dwells on dry curing. Which, can be challenging...considering the temp and/or humidity control requirements for periods of months at a time.
I own "Great sausage recipes and meat curing" by Rytek Kutas. Had it for 14 years now, and I still love it/use the heck out of it.

TD

Gorilla,

I have the Kutas book as well, plus the charcuterie book and salumi. I also have the Marianski book on meat and the fermented sausage book by same author. The Marianski book is far better than the Kutas book in my opinion! thought perhaps the Kutas recipes are better, couldn't say. I highly recommend the Marianski book as an addition to your library, much less reading between the lines so to speak.

At any rate, my biggest issue now is cross contamination of huge brewery with the dry cure fermentation bugs. Would need separate space for the dry cue chamber. I have a Bradley smoke generator that I can use for cold smoke, and a humidity controller and humidifier and a temp controller. All I need is a fridge and some smoke sticks and a rack and some time. I have some old PC fans. Was thinking about trying to connect a raspberry pi or old PC to try and control everything.

Probably need to put this all on hold for a few years since kids are growing up and little to no time for yet another hobby.

Still, and to get back on track, the pellet grill sort of bridged a gap between cooking BBQ and getting into sausage making, and smoking etc. I really want to try and make my own salumi some day.

Anyways, the pellet grill is great. The convenience of propane (to an extent), and the flavor of charcoal. Plus, you can set the cook temp like an oven, for precise grilling,roasting,baking, and also can cook slow and low with smoke for BBQ favorites like pulled pork shoulder, ribs, brisket, etc.

TD

I bought the Yoder YS640 Pellet Smoker last spring and love it. It's built like a army tank and does a great putting smoke flavor with a great smoke ring on the meat. Makes as good Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and Pulled Pork as my stick burner but have to baby sit it, just set it and forget it for up to 18 hours. I can put a large Brisket or Bosto Butt on, go to bed and sleep for 8hours easy.
You can tell which people at BBQ compititions are using Pellets Smokers, they're the ones that look RESTED while holding the trophy.

Gorilla,

I have the Kutas book as well, plus the charcuterie book and salumi. I also have the Marianski book on meat and the fermented sausage book by same author. The Marianski book is far better than the Kutas book in my opinion! thought perhaps the Kutas recipes are better, couldn't say. I highly recommend the Marianski book as an addition to your library, much less reading between the lines so to speak.

At any rate, my biggest issue now is cross contamination of huge brewery with the dry cure fermentation bugs. Would need separate space for the dry cue chamber. I have a Bradley smoke generator that I can use for cold smoke, and a humidity controller and humidifier and a temp controller. All I need is a fridge and some smoke sticks and a rack and some time. I have some old PC fans. Was thinking about trying to connect a raspberry pi or old PC to try and control everything.

Probably need to put this all on hold for a few years since kids are growing up and little to no time for yet another hobby.

Still, and to get back on track, the pellet grill sort of bridged a gap between cooking BBQ and getting into sausage making, and smoking etc. I really want to try and make my own salumi some day.

Anyways, the pellet grill is great. The convenience of propane (to an extent), and the flavor of charcoal. Plus, you can set the cook temp like an oven, for precise grilling,roasting,baking, and also can cook slow and low with smoke for BBQ favorites like pulled pork shoulder, ribs, brisket, etc.

TD
I will have to look for that Marianski book at Amazon...thanks good buddy!:mug: I am always looking for a good addition to the library.
Don't feel bad, I have the whole kids/braces/glasses/allergy shots/sporting events/ when does dad get time for himself thing going too. It's a hobby...cheaper than a boat but still costly by itself.

I bought the Yoder YS640 Pellet Smoker last spring and love it. It's built like a army tank and does a great putting smoke flavor with a great smoke ring on the meat. Makes as good Brisket, Ribs, Chicken and Pulled Pork as my stick burner but have to baby sit it, just set it and forget it for up to 18 hours. I can put a large Brisket or Bosto Butt on, go to bed and sleep for 8hours easy.
You can tell which people at BBQ compititions are using Pellets Smokers, they're the ones that look RESTED while holding the trophy.
Yep, I really like mine too. I have done everything from ribs to cheesecake on mine. Yes, cheesecake. Turned out great. But, can't do the summer sausages, hams or bacon on it. So, gonna keep my old smoker to use in conjunction to the grill.

gwapogorilla said:
I will have to look for that Marianski book at Amazon...thanks good buddy!:mug: I am always looking for a good addition to the library. Don't feel bad, I have the whole kids/braces/glasses/allergy shots/sporting events/ when does dad get time for himself thing going too. It's a hobby...cheaper than a boat but still costly by itself. Yep, I really like mine too. I have done everything from ribs to cheesecake on mine. Yes, cheesecake. Turned out great. But, can't do the summer sausages, hams or bacon on it. So, gonna keep my old smoker to use in conjunction to the grill.

You'll like the Marianski book I think.

I've done bacon in my MAK. I used the amazin smoker and then I used some hot smoke. I forget what my final IT was though. I want to say 153°' but it was quite a long time ago that I can't be certain. I know some people who do summer sausages on theirs, and even a fast fermented pepperoni sticks.

TD

You'll like the Marianski book I think.

I've done bacon in my MAK. I used the amazin smoker and then I used some hot smoke. I forget what my final IT was though. I want to say 153°' but it was quite a long time ago that I can't be certain. I know some people who do summer sausages on theirs, and even a fast fermented pepperoni sticks.

TD

And the lowest the Mak goes is 150-180*? Starting meats off at that temp usually cooks the outside of the meats waaay too fast. Giving them a crust or maybe a thick, tough rind if you will. Not to mention limited smoke penetration.
But, you have to work with what you have.
How'd it turn out?

gwapogorilla said:
And the lowest the Mak goes is 150-180*? Starting meats off at that temp usually cooks the outside of the meats waaay too fast. Giving them a crust or maybe a thick, tough rind if you will. Not to mention limited smoke penetration.
But, you have to work with what you have.
How'd it turn out?

I've never done temp logging. I'll say that temp is probably an average temp of the two thermocouples at the vents which are just above primary grill level but honesty not sure how it reads out. I can put racks at varying heights above grill level but fans do create a sort of convection effect.

I can position a grid probe and program it to maintain set temp at that level but dunno what the lowest it can go.

With the MAK 2 and cold smoker box it'll go to lower temps but again not sure.

Also don't forget that food danger zone from cooking uncured food at such a low temp. Could be the lawyers at work. Again not sure.

If I want to cold smoke on my gear, I need the amazin tube smoker loaded with pellets. It will maintain my grill between 98-120, but I could probably go lower by setting it on the bottom deck at the firepot level.

You do get great smoke flavor and a nice smoke ring on foods when hot smoking at 180

Ohhhhh, I see. Your using the heat from the smoke tube to elevate the temp in the unit.
I have tried the cold smoke thing, but it was with my smoke daddy. Yuck! Man, it kicks out a butt load of thick grey smoke. Which can be bad in a lot of applications. It works great on my big electric unit. I have it attached to the door, so I can smoke for 1 minute all of the way up to infinity. Plus I don't have to open the door to refill pellets, which is great cuz' I don't lose all of the heat in the cabinet that way.

Also, I have tried the smoking of cured meats on the pellet grill. Like I said...150* was tooo hot. It worked, to an extent. Results were varied and undesirable.
This is the time of year when I start my smoking hobby. It is difficult to smoke a ham at 85*, when the ambient temp is 93* plus humidity.

Here's a helpful thread about cold smoking on the 500. She is using the grill in this instance but has since switched to the tube smoker and abondoned the ice trays, but, if you are concerned about elevated temps then the ice trays are certainly a good solution. I'm sure you could use a similar process on either the Mak or Yoder, or mabe even a big enough gas grill or komado.

Got my pg500 delivered earlier today and doing the burn in now. Wasn't supposed to be here until tomorrow due to the fact it was supposed to be snowing today so nothing going on it tonight.

ForumRunner_20131105_162713.png

ForumRunner_20131105_162653.jpg

ForumRunner_20131105_162636.png

It came with 40 lbs of cookshack hickory, 20 lbs of bear mountain cherry and 20 pounds of pecan, name wasnt in big print and haven't looked close yet
Okay, the cookshack and the pecan pellets are from "Lumberjack"...a damn good pellet. The hickory is 60% red oak and 40% hickory...pecan is 60% red oak and 40% pecan. The bear mountain is 75% alder and 25% cherry.
I see your in Colorado, that is a bit far to order pellets from Lumberjack directly. I'm in Iowa(Lumberjack is in Wisconsin) and buy by the pallet. I get GOOD pellets dirt cheap.

Fast Eddy's Rib Rub
Ingredients

½ cup white sugar
¼ cup Hungarian paprika
¼ cup Lawry’s seasoning salt
2 tablespoons garlic salt
1 tablespoons allspice
1 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoons onion salt
1 tablespoons fresh coarse ground black pepper
1 teaspoon of celery seed
3 slabs baby back ribs
1 cup brown sugar Rib Glaze
18-oz bottle of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce
1/2 cup of honey
1 cup of purified water

Instructions

Peel the membrane off the back side of the ribs.

Rub the slabs with brown sugar and refrigerate overnight.

Mix all the rub ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then rub ribs 30 minutes before smoking.

Place ribs in an indirect smoker at 275 degrees for about 3 hrs.

Mix ingredients of glaze together and put in a foil pan and place in smoker for 3 hrs.

Cook ribs till the meat starts to separate when picked up in the middle of the rack.

Brush glaze on both sides of ribs and allow to set in smoker for another 10 minutes.

Plate them and watch them vanish.

Last edited by a moderator:
It came with 40 lbs of cookshack hickory, 20 lbs of bear mountain cherry and 20 pounds of pecan, name wasnt in big print and haven't looked close yet

Hey JD, did your new 500 come with the new SS grate in zone 1 or the cast iron one?

Hey JD, did your new 500 come with the new SS grate in zone 1 or the cast iron one?

Cast iron. My understanding is the SS is being done by Fast Eddie Himself and is aftermarket only. I'm seasoning mine with flaxseed oil and going to do a few coatings before putting it on the grill and see how it holds up, bit have a feeling I will be ordering a SS one.
I think the grill gets hot enough to run any seasoning that you do

JeepDiver said:
Cast iron. My understanding is the SS is being done by Fast Eddie Himself and is aftermarket only. I'm seasoning mine with flaxseed oil and going to do a few coatings before putting it on the grill and see how it holds up, bit have a feeling I will be ordering a SS one. I think the grill gets hot enough to run any seasoning that you do

I seasoned a skillet with flax seed a few years ago. It took two tries (with multiple coats) before I got it right. Hardest part was removing the old seasoning. With a new part you won't have that problem. Anyway, the stuff is fantastic, I simply can't believe. Two years and going strong, even with rough metal utensil use.

Cooks illustrated has a good write up of how to do it, leaving out a few minor details that I can longer recall.

TD

Cast iron. My understanding is the SS is being done by Fast Eddie Himself and is aftermarket only. I'm seasoning mine with flaxseed oil and going to do a few coatings before putting it on the grill and see how it holds up, bit have a feeling I will be ordering a SS one.
I think the grill gets hot enough to run any seasoning that you do

Yeah, I really didn't start noticing any rust on mine until I started cooking pizzas pretty often and maxing out the temp. If I had it to do over I'd leave the grate out unless I wanted to grill burgers or steaks. I'll be ordering the SS grate pretty soon I think at this point.

Made some ribs yesterday before starting night call week. Just what I needed to get me through.
Can get a decent smoke ring on these pellet cookers for sure. These done at 275 for 2 hours before foiling, finished with sauce and 15-25 more minutes of smoke love

image-1611017687.jpg

image-1836013795.jpg

image-2607133775.jpg

image-1011122078.jpg

Been a week from hell here, just geting my first cook in on the 500. Did a batch of pig candy and got some chicken thighs on now

Latest posts

Back