Pedantic Pronunciation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll one-up you on the pedantic scale: it's actually trüb, a German word. The sound that ü makes does not exist in English, but is pronounced most closely like ew (like when your grossed out). So, it's really pronounced trewb. I speak German, so I use the German pronunciation (along with kräusen, kroy-zen (äu = oy)), so I think the better English would be with the long double-o, troob.

Weiter brauen! (Brew on!)

If you're going to brew beer you're going to have to speak German. It sucks, but it's necessary. What's even more infuriating is that the terms are all different depending on what you're brewing.

So, make it easy on yourself... forget about trub, troob or trewb... just brew cider and you can safely call it the the Lees.

I brew beer, and have for decades, and I don't speak German! I speak American - flat intoned midwestern American. Some would make the case I do so poorly. I disagree, and prefer to think of it a form of colorful, colloquial, redneck peroration. I call the chit in the bottom of the fermentor what ever the hell I please and that usually depends on how much grief it is or is not giving me at that point in time! Gunk comes up a lot, but on occasion other appropriate four letter descriptions infiltrate the conversation.

Is it trub or troob? I'm on the short u vowel club but I don't want to look like an idiot.

I was in the same boat as you for awhile (thank you @tgolanos for the explanation). I said it wrong many times until I started hearing others say it. There are ton of other words that are hard for me to properly pronounce in this hobby, including yeast strains, and hop varieties. Listening to podcasts in the car has helped, but I still feel like an idiot a lot of times.

Back