Pectins and in wine (methanol side question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
I'm looking for a list of the amount of pectin in fruits, especially interested in which fruits are lowest in pectin.

On a similar note, I know that less pectin will produce less methanol in a wine, but does anyone know a way to test for methanol content (aside from distilling)? Alternately, any information on percent of pectin that gets converted to methanol during the fermentation process. (i.e., if you have a must that you've calculated to about .25% pectin, will the finished wine have .25% methanol in the total volume?)

why the concern on methanol? wine contains ethanol which is going to prevent methanol from metabolizing, so you shouldn't be worried for a second that wine will make you go blind.

not worried about going blind at all. Just trying to solve an argument with a friend; we both agree the amounts would be relatively insignificant, but were debating how much methanol would be left in something by freeze distilling, for educational purposes only of course.

I stumbled on a table somewhere or another that I can't find now..... That sort of info is quite useful for canning and juicing operations.....

The simple answer to "How much methanol would be left in something by freeze distilling".....

is....

"Almost all of it"

Thanks

Back