Pecan Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JYBC

Reaction score
Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. Question on a brew i've got in ferment. I'm making a Pecan Stout. All grain. Been in primary for 2 weeks. I'll be triple roasting 4 pounds of chopped pecans at 315 (not to burn) while drying in between roast to get the oils out. Then will soak for about 15 in Vodka to lower risk of infecting the beer. Finally will be placing into secondary for a week before kegging. I'm thinking instead of just dropping into the secondary that I want to use a pantyhose sock. Question is, do you think that this method will allow all the flavor of the nut to absorb into the beer Vs. just dropping into the carboy. Looking for any suggestions on a way to filter the nut out while racking into the keg.

You may want to use a muslin bag with some marbles, when I did my Pecan brown I put the nuts in the mash and they float.

Back